Trip Story Routeburn,Caples,Greenstone 2009

1–10 of 18

Hi Guys I have decided to post a short story of my trip.I started with the Routeburn i had perfect weather but it was cold and not a cloud in the sky for three days. I did the whole trip in one go about 95km,i started the Caples from the Howden Hut and the ranger was realy good with all the info about the tracks and she put me in her diary that i was on my own and would be back in 5 days so off i went I got to the turn off to the Caples track the sun was out so i went up the hard section first if it is raining go the other way IE:greenstone then caples.Crossing the caples river was an effort as there is a bridge and i could not find it as it is not all that easy to find the correct path but i got accross. You start out walking through bush and trees and over moss coverd boulders,then it goes straight up i mean straight up and i have never seen such big tree roots,after a while i had to put the walking poles away as i needed both hands to hang on to the tree roots and in some places it was hands and knees as well. It took about 2.5 hours to get to the top,i had lunch on Mckellar saddle.The walk down was not much better very steep and the same moss coverd tree roots,but once i got down to the old Caples river bed things changed and you got a sense that the a T Rex would chase you down the track,it was spooky,getting close to the Upper caples Hut i came accross a few deer hunters walking round with guns as i have never come accross this it was strange I got to the hut and it had taken about 7 hours as i dont walk fast nice hut 12 bunks and we had a full house,the deer hunters had good info and stories to tell. Day 2 Upper caples Hut to Mid Caples.I left the hut about lunch time as it was a short walk 2.5 hours the weather was going down hill the track consisted of lots of farm land and cows not the most interesting section of the walk,i got to the hut and the only person there was the ranger that was ok so i had the whole place to myself. Day three Mid Caples hut to Greenstone Hut and a long walk.The weather was no better and more farm land and cows i got to the swing bridge that crosses the caples river and joins the greenstone track about lunch time and the weather came good lots of sun.the Grennstone track in the direction i went is all up hill and there are some very long drops to the river below so be careful. the greenstone hut is a new hut and is about a 15min walk off the track and over the Greenstone river and up the other side.they have placed the hut in a large open area with good views. the hut itself is huge it reminds me of huts on the Milford and routeburn tracks and they are thinking of putting gas in for cooking,not sure if that is good idea. Day 4 greenstone to McKellar Hut.The weather turned NASTY,this walk should have taken about 6 hours it took me 9 hours i have never come across weather like it. The ranger said take care with the river crossings and she ment it.The rain was heavy and it hurt and there was a strong head wind just to make things more interesting, there were more cows,and tons of stinky black thick mud,some places it was knee deep. The river crossings were another issue i have not realy had to deal with,they were small to start with,not to much trouble i remember the ranger saying if you were rain pants take them off and it makes sense now.then i came to the scarey crossing near the McKellar Hut normally it is knee deep this time it was a foot deeper and fast,it is about 4 meters wide and smooth on the bottom so in we go walking poles no use as water to strong im doing well till the last meter and in we go,the flow of water was going to the exit point so i was lucky this time. I can now see how you can drown very easly in rivers.i got to the hut 15 min later wet,cold and tired and had the whole place to myself again. Day5 Home the weather had cleard up alot but the ground was like a bog surface water and mud again,i was on my way home so it was ok.i got to the Howden Hut and guess who greated me the ranger and it was lunch time,she made me a coffee and asked me about the trip and what the weather was like and the river crossings. At the time it was hard work but when i look back on it,it was worth all the hard work, pain and suffering i went through and i would do it again.My next Trip is the Hollyford in Feb 2010 so if people have info for me i would like to here it Lindsay Ps i had 250mm rain in four hours on day 4 and i had a locator beacon
Hi Lindsay, you did well! We walked the Greenstone in March (fine weather) and then went to Milford Sound. We planned to fly into the Hollyford, walk out, then go to the Caples. But the huge amounts of rain at this time meant we couldn't get in to the Hollyford, then too late to attempt the Caples, and too wet for us "oldies". However we plan to return to NZ next year (number 7) for the unfinished business of the Hollyford, starting about 10th March from Gunns Camp end. We will tramp to Martin's Bay, then get the jet boat out to the confluence of the rivers, so we don't have to depend upon fine weather for a plane in. Too late for you though. Cheers, Peter.
Hi peter I can walk the Hollyford anytime Feb was my first thought as i turn 53 but i can walk March as well.I am going to stay at Gunns camp as well also i was going to walk both ways or take the jet boat,it would if we could meet up Lindsay
Peter i have not booked anything as yet,will start to book end of July,where do you live
Hi Lindsay, we (wife Kate) and I live in Mid North Coast of NSW. I will be 65 next March. How are you getting to Gunn's Camp? Cheers, Peter.
Hi Peter the way i will do it this time is fly to christchurch and stay with my cousin for the night then pick up the rental car the next mourning and drive to wanaka stay with my auntie and Uncle,the next day drive to TeAnau I will stay at the Teanau lake View Holiday Park next to DOCS for one night then the next day drive to Gunns Camp and the next day do the walk. Tracknet go to the hollyford road end so they may stop at Gunns Camp i will have to find out. There are no phones or power or internet at the camp they have a generator they turn on for two hours each day tent sites $10/night and you can leave your car there for $2/night. They do have a email address, i think it is in TeAnau as there postal address is in teAnau i got the email address through the NZ camping Guide and i got a reply from Debbie at gunns Camp,this is the way i wont to do it but things can change i will be booking in mid July. I can send you my email address if you would like,i think there is a way i can do it on this site as everyone has a inbox someone will tell me how to do it. Lindsay
Hi Lindsay, great to be a local! We will be flying out of Sydney on 8th March (booked) to Christchurch, then flying down to Queenstown the same day. Stay there overnight and drive a hire car to Te Anau to stock up on supplies (stayed at LakeView this year and before), then drive to Gunns Camp. So will be there on Tuesday 9th March. We will walk the next day, or weather bad, wait a day. We will book a cabin at Gunns Camp for a few days after the walk as well, so can do some side trips. I have the email address too. I can give you my email address if you like, no problem. I'll check out the inbox thing, or ask Matthew, the web page designer. Cheers.
Hi, if you click on the person you want to email, it will bring up their profile. Then to the left is a control box with the following items: Friends: Add **** as a friend. Mail: Mail **** Just click on the mail one and you should be able to email. Hope that helps.
Hi Peter et al Just thinking. I will be coming back next March too and was wondering if you would like some more company? Not sure who else will be coming but it's early days yet. I might well be staying on after for a couple of weeks to do some other stuff in the Nelson area, interested? Norm
Sounds good, where have you been?
1–10 of 18

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by lgwaddel
On 16 May 2009
Replies 17
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown