Three Aussies in NZ - Lewis Pass region.

I've just arrived back in Sydney after 4 glorious days walking in the Lewis Pass region of the South Island. We were very fortunate to have near perfect conditions and enjoyed one of the most scenic and enjoyable trips one could wish for. We arrived at Lewis Pass at 10:00AM last Thursday 19th March having flown into Ch. Ch. late the night before. Having acquired all our gear in the 70's and 80's, long before the lightweight backpacking revolution, our backs groaned as we shouldered packs and headed off under overcast skies and scudding rain. The track is in excellent condition and spends most of its time well above the river before dropping down to the Cannibal Gorge Hut where we stopped for lunch and dried out our gear. I have to say that we have nothing in Australia to match the quality of your walking infrastructure. This hut came complete with plumbed water to an internal sink! A full third of the world's population don't have homes this good. With no one in occupation to engage in conversation we were on our way soon after lunch and a brew of hot tea. In what seemed like no time at all Ada Pass Hut came into view. The hour since lunch had flown by. The river scenery was just enchanting with grassy flats and shingle banks interspersed with pockets of forest. Picture book stuff. Again the hut was empty but as it was early we decided to press on. It had been our original intention to leave the St James Walkway at this point and head up the Maruia River and over Three Tarns Pass but as the tops were shrouded in cloud and it was still raining we elected to do the trip in the reverse direction. As things would turn out this proved to be a very good decision. Ada Pass proved to be, by a considerable margin, the easiest of the whole trip and before long we were trundling happily along grassy banks admiring the sombre bulk of the Faerie Queen rising steeply above Camera Gully. The livestock of StJames Station all seemed in excellent condition. The station horses were magnificent as they galloped across the open paddocks. Perhaps though they will all soon be removed as I understand the run has been resumed by the government? By now the sun was making its first appearance for the day and the Christopher River fairly sparkled in the late afternoon glow as it wound its way across the plains before emptying into the Ada below the track. Even from a height of over a hundred metres the rocky bed was clearly visible beneath the gin coloured water. We have nothing like this in Aus. Alas. Soon Christopher Hut came into view tucked into the bush edge on the fringe of a great sweeping riverine plain. Two parties both from Christchurch were already in residence but quickly made us feel very welcome even after it was established that we were Australians. To our amazement even though we are all on the wrong side of 50 we were by some margin the youngest there! As things would have it we were to see only one person younger than ourselves on the whole trip. Is that how it is in the NZ back country? We were also surprised by the number of wmen out walking, sorry tramping. One party consisted of just three women. This would be unheard of in Australia and I suspect most other parts of the world. They were all very friendly though and were enjoying their annual March trip away together. More strength to them. One of the ladies in the other party was at least 70 and received us warmly proclaiming that as she had several sons and many grandsons she knew all about "young" boys like us.Her only regret she confided was that she had taken up tramping too late in life. Better late than never I consoled her. As we had a big day following we bid our new friends goodnight and took up sleeping quarters on the verandah outside. This was not because we were not made welcome but because they seemed set for a long session around the card table. Wilfred though would retreat to the hut before long when a possum invaded his personal space. The night was very dark with the moon not rising to well after midnight. As I looked up to the stars it was hard to conceive that barely 24 hours before I had been sitting in my Sydney office. How wonderful the day had been. Could it get any better than this? TBC K.
38 comments
21–30 of 38

My heart goes out for you, Ed Reynolds. Can UNDERSTAND why you went out for it solo. The big mistake was that you were not equipped with a distress beacon while you were out there. My 121.5 MHz distress beacon is no longer detected by satellite since February and I have looked for a 406 MHz beacon. Two types of distress beacons I know of include: Mini – Sat and Mini – Sat – G (gps) These products are currently in the approval process which must be completed before they can be sold. The approval process is very complicated and the manufacturer’s plan is to release the products in June this year. If approved then released, the mini sat will cost about $499 (aus) and $649 for the mini sat g. It is almost double the price of the 121.5 MHz distress beacon.
Hopefully we will find out what has happed to Ed Reynolds one way or another, but I don't agree that not carrying a beacon is the big mistake here. If indeed he has come to grief then his big mistake is probably that he is not self reliant. I struggle to have a pack less than 20kg for a weekend not to mention a longer trip. It sounds to me like he doesn't have enough food or clothing for the type of country he is in. Having a beacon is good, but I think we have seen a little too much emphasis on beacons lately. Trampers have travelled safely without beacons for years and that is by being prepared and managing risk. Carrying a beacon is not a substitute for any of that. Latest news on Ed at http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/2313042/Search-for-US-tramper-intensifies
We were with Edward at West Sabine hut on the night of 22nd Feb - there is no record of him after 23rd when he arrived at East Matakitaki hut. It would be wrong to say that he was self-reliant - the reverse was the case and he didn't see much need for leaving notes in hut books etc. He was well resourced although he needed to restock food in 2 or 3 days. His story is interesting - he told of having been severely overweight and having got on top of his weight issue through walking. Walking was now an addiction and he had done some big tracks in USA. He was covering some vast distances in NZ - he had arrived at West Sabine from Lakehead (via Travers saddle) in 1 day. It looks like he got from West Sabine hut to East Matakitaki hut also in 1 day. He was a lovely guy and his disappearance is very sad.
Sorry, are you saying he was or was not self reliant? I find it difficult to understand how anyone could have the resources to travel safely in the backcountry with a 10kg pack. However, that may not even be the point. He was also travelling alone, which I know many people do now and I have done myself, but it does make you very vulnerable to a mishap that in a larger party may be just a mishap. It must be a terrorable thing to know you may be the last person to have seen him. I just hope that he can be found. There have been some great survival stories in the mountains. Lets just hope this is one of those.
I can't imagine how I could go out for a weekender with less than about 13-14kg in my pack (plus water and plus what I wear on the day), at least in New Zealand where it's impossible to guarantee favourable conditions. I know some people go to a serious effort to get their gear to less than half of my own best efforts (eg. This guy -- http://www.tramplight.co.nz/ ), and I presume it's feasible to cut down on at least some weight quite safely. I don't think I'd ever want to do it to such an extreme, though, as I don't trust myself or my experience to make good decisions with that little room for error. I guess overseas visitors might sometimes try to use light-weight principles that won't necessarily work here with the same level of safety as they do elsewhere. Reportedly relying on running shoes in some of the places he was visiting sounded risky to me, by the sounds of it he was rationing his food to the bare minimum of what he thought he'd need if things went as expected. I thought the SAR guy quoted by the NZ Herald sounded very diplomatic in simply saying "there is no room for error in what he takes". I really hope things turn out well, and I suppose the best case scenario is that he made it out safely ages ago and simply hasn't made contact with people (or touched his bank account) for some other reason, though this doesn't seem likely. If he hasn't always been writing in hut books then I guess it complicates the search planning a lot.
This is very sad news indeed. From the sound of it he was using the same route as us; Bob's Hut, West Matakitaki, 3 Tarns Pass, Lewis Pass. We saw no sign of him at all. And I imagine that several parties have been through there in the last 5 weeks or so. We were very fortunate with the weather but it would have been very difficult in bad conditions. It is just so easy to take a fall on those rock piles. I hope he is OK?
Let's hope. He traversed peaks and finished the route from West Sabine Hut to East Matakitaki Hut in a day. According to the information I've collected, it takes about 3 hours to walk from East Matakitaki Hut to Bob's Hut. It might take two to two and a half hours for him. Think he is still somewhere on the planet. There is the bloody three wire bridge between the two huts and I hope it will be upgraded in the near future.
Yes 3 hours between the two is about right. The only real obstacle is the 3 wire bridge. Whilst not for the feint hearted it is quite sound. Whilst we walked off the track several times because of trees down it was never for long and I believe it would be most unlikely that he lost the track through there. If he was not staying in Bob's Hut he may not have left an entry in the log book. Provided he had good conditions he could get up and over 3 Tarns Pass to Ada Pass Hut from East Matakitaki Hut in 1 day. Particularly as it sounds like he was moving fast.
Found heaps of useful information on this website http://www.nelsonlakesshuttles.co.nz/lewis_pass.htm
Ah yes it brings it all back to me. Excellent link. It all seems so long ago already. But I'm dreaming of my return trip.
21–30 of 38

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by kanangra
On 24 March 2009
Replies 37
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown