Eating like an ANZAC

Here is a topical recipe for you. When I first joined the Army back in the late 1980's we were still supplied with food very similar to that used by ANZAC soldiers since the First World War era. Among other items we had cans of "wet" food such as meat and vegetable stew, corned beef, and beans and franks. I came across a recipe recently that was an exact copy of one of the meals we commonly used to make for ourselves while out in the "field". We used to go and buy the vegetables you put into it and added a new twist Tobasco sauce. This recipe dates from 1915, and was in a book I am reading about the Great War. It had obviously been passed down through generations of soldiers. Here it is: Trench stew Preparation Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes Number of servings: 3 - 4 Serving suggestions: For authenticity, allow to cool and serve with a cup of stewed tea (mud and flies optional) trenchstew Ingredients •1 turnip (or parsnip/potato) •2 carrots •Small tin corned beef •¼ stock cube •one or two biscuits (optional: WW1 Army biscuits were so hard you had to break them up with a stone or the butt of your rifle. They were a cross between a digestive biscuit and a cracker) •1 pint of water Method 1.Put the water on to boil 2.Slice up the turnip and carrot 3.Add to the boiling water 4.Add the stock and stir then leave for 10 minutes 5.Mash up corned beef and add to the mixture 6.Add the biscuits and stir (optional) Give it a try, it is actually very tasty!
we used to get wet rations.... tins of "dog food" which is exactly what it looked like, and packets of 'dog biscuits" again pretty similar to dog biscuits. heavy as hell on a multi day drip. i did a four day trip. and it was a pretty heavy pack with those rations...
We must have been in the Army at the same time! Tasty meat and vege stew.....yum.... cold, greasy and dog meat like...oh the memories!
i was in cadets... the food made me think twice about the army...
My mate was at the officer cadet school in Australia in the late 1980's. One day they went to this hugh warehouse the Aussie army has just outside Canberra, it was the strategic supply point for the whole ADF. He said they had had hundreds of pallets of ration packs there, dated 1970. Even then they were nearly twenty years old. He asked why they didnt just chuck em out and the supply guy said "...you never know, we might need them one day..." What? Who is going to eat ration pack food that is 18 years old....
Those ration packs have a lot in common with 2 minute noodles. They will be just as good now as they were in 1970 and will probably taste the same in 2070. Too much salt in them to ever go off. ps taste the same means just as bad not just as good

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by bradley1
On 16 April 2014
Replies 5
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown