Light-weight GPS tracking

Hello. Can anyone suggest a good GPS receiver that's optimised for simply tracking routes and not much else? (ie. No display required.) I'm thinking of something light-weight that I could maybe stash on top of my pack and almost forget about, then extract something like a GPX file from it afterwards. I don't have much experience with GPS receivers but my understanding is that they chew through batteries. I suppose that part of the optimisation might be that it didn't wake up to check its location more frequently than necessary for it to survive a couple of days. Does such a device exist? I'm quite keen to be able to track where I've been, but so far I'm just trying to get an idea of what's available. Thanks for any help with this. Mike.
75 comments
51–60 of 75

Saved tracks not only cull out the time and date stuff but it thins out the number of points. I never bother with saved tracks, except for tracks I have on the computer and then upload to the GPS, in which case it will go into one of the saved track memories. On the 60CXS if you save a full 10,000 point tracklog to a saved memory it will thin it out to 500 points. You can do this 20 times as there are 20 saved track logs (totalling 10,000 points but it is a separate 10,000 points from the main track log). Which GPS unit did you decide to buy izoqi?
That's shocking, now I'm really glad I didn't go for the cheap option. I ordered an eTrex Vista HCx, which seems almost identical to the GPSMAP 60CSX except for the smaller screen and a few small things such as no-serial-output, controls in different places, etc. It also includes the compass and altimeter, but for some reason doesn't have an S in the model name. Tony doesn't stock them, so he's adding it to his next order and it might take a little while to arrive. Meanwhile though, I'm trying to get the hang of what to expect with the borrowed one. In the end I decided to try tolerating the smaller screen in exchange for a little less weight and longer battery life. If it turns out I can't then I guess I'll know better for next time -- it seems like one of those things that you'll only really know when you've tried it. I'll see how it goes, and hopefully all this mapping stuff will be fun. Thanks everyone for all the help with making up my mind.
I have found a good site you guys might already know about ithttp://www.nztopoonline.linz.govt.nz/ i found a very detaild map of the Hollyford Track,you just type in where you wont to go and there it is lindsay
Thanks Pmcke, I download in kml as suggested. Very cool, I can now start planning some south island trips, not sure when I will get there though.
Looking forward to hearing a report on the Vista HCx. Its the model I'm looking at getting next month. Then I have to decide on the several options for topo maps.
I am also looking at getting that one Vista Hcx the price in oz about $300 what is it worth in NZ
NZ $545 at Mapworld for the Vista Hcx.
Interesting, is that A$300 ? I'm paying NZ$500 including postage, and Tony said the RRP is NZ$549. (I'm paying an extra $15 for a 2GB SD card with the free NZ street maps on it.) lgwaddel: I wonder if you've found a really good deal, or if it's just various extra taxes and things that NZ throws in. I did a quick hunt around Australian websites and the going rate seems to be about A$400. Are you sure you're looking at a Vista HCx and not one of the older Vista models?
Oops, sorry I lied. I'm paying NZ$500 for the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx (including GST), then $15 for the micro SD card, and an extra $8 for postage. Still much cheaper than the RRP though.
Cheapest I can find is AUD$350. Will the new system NZ is adopting negatively affect the various topo maps available (say GTmaps). Will upgrades be necessary or the like?
51–60 of 75

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Buy / sell / exchange
Started by izogi
On 15 March 2009
Replies 74
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown