Light-weight GPS tracking

Hello. Can anyone suggest a good GPS receiver that's optimised for simply tracking routes and not much else? (ie. No display required.) I'm thinking of something light-weight that I could maybe stash on top of my pack and almost forget about, then extract something like a GPX file from it afterwards. I don't have much experience with GPS receivers but my understanding is that they chew through batteries. I suppose that part of the optimisation might be that it didn't wake up to check its location more frequently than necessary for it to survive a couple of days. Does such a device exist? I'm quite keen to be able to track where I've been, but so far I'm just trying to get an idea of what's available. Thanks for any help with this. Mike.
75 comments
11–20 of 75

Just make sure you get the model with the -H on the end of the model no. That means the high sensitivity antenna which is way and above better than the earlier models
Another place to try for Garmin GPS is triginstruments.co.nz. Their prices are the cheapest I've seen online for NZ new Garmin GPS. Good fast service too.
Well I'm still working on this one, and my current thinking is maybe something in the ETrex line because they seem a little lighter (on the order of 150g with batteries and I figure I can carry extra batteries if necessary) and they're now coming out with high sensitivity models that seem quite cheap (~NZ$200). It sounds as if they might not natively support the NZTM2000 grid that's coming out in 2 months, but I hope it should be able to be user defined from what I've read in the forums over at gps.org.nz. I'm uncertain about the data storage, though. I presume I can always empty it onto my computer when I get home, but I have no idea how its internal storage will stand up to a weekend. The basic eTrex says it has "no built in memory" (and won't take an SD card) but that it'll "store 10000 points". Is 10000 points a lot in the context of a weekend? I have no idea. What's built-in memory typically used for if it's not storing points? Any thoughts? Thanks for any help with this.
10,000 points will do a weekend but you will probably have to set the GPS to limit the amount of points it logs, ie. 1 every 20m or so. That's what I used to do on my old GPS. I am not sure if that is possible on an Etrex. The great thing with the new models that log the track to the SD card is that they will keep logging while there is room on the card. There will probably be more room left on a 2GB card than the GPS will track in a lifetime. Personally I found it a great relief not having to worry about the track log filling up. To me the Etrex is a fairly old generation of GPS now. There are so much possibilities with the new mapping models. I have the 60CSX and, even though it is superceded now, it is a classic model which people are still choosing over the newer models. Most of the weight in the unit is the 2 AA batteries which is the same as what the Etrex takes so weight shouldn't really be an issue. All the topo maps of NZ will fit onto a 500mb card so having that on hand is a real advantage. I also have set of maps that I created for myself that have all the DOC boundaries in NZ. Good to know that you are actually in a park or on a marginal strip etc. I see Garmin have now come out with the Dakota which looks like an Etrex replacement.
Thanks for the thoughts. I took a look at the Dakota and it doesn't seem like a replacement, especially the touch-screen interface as I've always had problems with touch-screens. The old and simple eTrex I'm borrowing seems to have very rugged and well-defined controls. The marketing text says it's aimed at outdoor use, but has anyone tested anything with a touch-screen in the field? I'm considering upping my budget with some careful thought, and I've probably narrowed it down to either the 60CSx (which everyone seems to like), or the eTrex Vista HCx (apparently similar but slightly cheaper because of a smaller screen, but lighter and with a longer battery life). Is there much benefit from a larger screen? It seems to be the main thing a 60CSx has going for it, at least from the raw specs, but it's coming at a bit of a cost.
I own the 60csx, durable and userble. [Email address removed] would be a good guy to get in contact with, he loads the NZ map series on (he will buy a bigger SD card for the job) It can store up to 3 -4 days of log (about 60k's or more) and the batteries last up to five days (up to 10 hours plus each day of use, I leave it on as it does not need to look for satellites so possibly saves batteries plus when your tramping in a gorge with low signal you can still get a position since it stays locked on as best as possible) Eteks are rubbish, can't every get signal until your above the bushline or in a HUGE clearing with no obstuctions including mountains. Plus with 60Csx you can use the map on screen so you don't have to take off your pack to get at a map.
Kiwi GPS http://www.finda.co.nz/business/listing/3xc/kiwigps/
Thanks Phillip. Yeah I've already been in touch with him, and I'm just trying to narrow down what I want. The latest models of eTreks mostly come with high sensitivity antennas (that's what the 'H' in the names means), so I'm not as worried about the signal thing. Tony seemed to think it makes all the difference for tracking under the bushline and elsewhere, even with the basic eTrex for about $200, and that seems consistent with pmcke mentioned earlier. But yeah, the old eTrex I've borrowed really sucks monkeys at getting and keeping signals even when I just walk past a small obstacle. Do you think you get much out of the larger screen size of a GPSMAP 60CSx, though? Screen size seems to be the main thing a 60CSx has over an eTrek Vista HCx, definitely if you flip back and forth between the spec pages on the Garmin website: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=8703#specsTab (Vista HCx) and https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=310#specsTab (60CSx), right down to both having electronic compasses, barometric altimeters etc. (The 60CSx also has an option for serial output, but I don't care about that.) Tony reckons the Vista HCx isn't as popular because it's getting too expensive for a small-screen model (the defining thing for an eTrex), when the GPSMAP 60CSx only costs $50 more ($500 verses $550). It looks tempting to me though just from the lower weight and longer battery life that come from the smaller screen, even if I start trying to use the mapping more than I thought I would. Thanks for the tips.
Worth it to get the 60Csx, hardly weighs alot and if I did not have it on permanently it can last 10 or even more days. Batteries don't weigh much either. Also with the map I use it zoomed into 300m to get the most detail and I can fit up to 2km of land on my screen. Plus I highly doubt these etek jobs can keep a signal in a gorge unlike the 60csx. I rarely use the other features as there is no need and I only need get out a compass when I'm travelling downhill or in low cloud.
Hmm.. Tony reckons eTrex models have less track wander though, so it might be more accurate for tracking. He posted a demo about this at http://forums.gps.org.nz/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3468&start=15 He's also just told me in an email that he doesn't think there's any difference between the two with ability to get a signal now that they all have better antennas, even though the eTrex one is flat and the 60CSx is tubular. Apparently the tubular design worked just as well upside-down and didn't need holding flat against the sky, or something like that, but with the HS antennas, that whole effect has been eclipsed so the tubular thing doesn't really make a difference any more. I guess the other thing to consider which only just occurred to me is the layout of the interface, since the buttons are all in different places with the 60CSx, on the front instead of the side.
11–20 of 75

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Buy / sell / exchange
Started by izogi
On 15 March 2009
Replies 74
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown