Grisport boots - anyone used them?

Hi all, new to the site and looking for some feedback on this brand of boot. Made in Italy with local distributors and have looked at a couple of pair in the shop. Seem like reasonable build quality and have reasonable overseas reviews, but wondering if anyone here can recommend ? Cheers.
16 comments
11–16 of 16

vibram is pretty much it on any reasonable boot. A few brands use there own soles on cheaper models but otherwise unless you go into the custom fit boots or very expensive old welt style sole it will be vibram. Vibram makes hundreds of different soles so just picking because of the name means nothing
BootsNZ still make models with the commando screw on rubber soles as do a few other of the smaller manufacturers. There was/is an inexpensive Shoen brand boot around with commando rubber soles. I had a pair that were excellent for grip in the hills but the uppers became full of holes & the seams went when the soles were only half worn. My experiece with vibram is that; The hardest wearing vibram soles I've used have been on Scarpa SL Activs but as per my earlier post those soles wear out when the uppers are still ok. (I'm ok with Scarpa SL's and they are the best of many vibram soled boot brands I've used but I'd still like the soles to last longer!) What boots have harder wearing vibram soles than Scarpa SL's?
2 deleted posts from glennj
I've found a photo of a worn out GriSport boot & related comments posted in 2011. You can check out the photo here; http://d2.tramper.co.nz/files/objectversions/10737/Gri%20Sport%20boot.JPG The boots were buggered after fiftyfive days of use but I taped them up daily for six days to keep them going a little longer. In summary I found GriSport boots comfortable but lacking in durability. (perhaps a little too flexible as well when carrying heavy loads over rough terrain) Not withstanding the above the GriSport boots perform better than the similar Kathmandu or Wenger (Swiss Army Knife) boots that are even less durable.
1 deleted post from bradley1
Man, those boots are buggered, I especially like that you continued to use them after the toe had gone. We will have to start addressing you as "Hardman" Glenn.
Hah they look exactly the same model as mine. I quietly retired mine from active service when the soles wore out. These look like you tortured them, then killed them, then mutilated the corpse, buried them, then dug them up again and shot them just to be sure. There is such a thing as cruelty to boots......and feet :)
With the GriSports the soles were worn smooth on part of each heel & the ball of each foot was worn smooth as well. I persisted with them because I'd paid good money for them & each extra day of wear lowered the unit cost of owning them. They were comfortable to the end unless a heavy pack was being carried. However lasting just sixtyone days was not good enough! My belief is that you should be able to get a 120 days use out of a pair of boots and I do get this and more out of some boots but they are generally the screw on rubber soled types without a gortex lining or gumboots & not vibram soled boots. The only vibram soled boots that have lasted 120 days use have been Scarpa SL's with the coconut fibre lining. They only just made it & are still going but the soles are nearly worn out whilst the uppers are still ok. They only get used on easier terrain now. These use figures are not plucked out of mid air but taken from diaries I've kept for a number of years.
11–16 of 16

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Harrisok
On 28 January 2014
Replies 15
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown