reproofing tent floors

Whats the best stuff to reproof a fabric type floor on a tent please. Its an old tent so probably nylon. The rest is of so it would be a shame to dump it just for moisture seeping through the floor from damp ground. I have in the past used a silicon spray on other tents and sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt. Is that still the best option
I'm not aware of anything, talk to a place like twinneedle.co.nz and see if they know of anything or can do anything
It's a guess, but maybe ask them about Nikwax TX-Direct Spray-On ?. Nikwak say dirt attracts moisture, so cleaning would be the Go also.
Put a ground sheet under it.
I know thats the easy way but want to look at other options first It can be rigged as a 4 season snow tent so is already not that light or space conscious.
I dont think a spray on water blocker is going to work for you, it might be ok for a couple of trips but will soon wear off. Unfortunately a ground sheet sounds like your best bet. Try using a space blanket for a ground sheet, it is very lightweight and resonably waterproof. I use a cheap tarp (6' by 4') from the Wharehouse with my tents, it only weighs 200gms and doubles as a shelter for wet lunches.
Try bog-standard silastic mixed with mineral turps to a thin consistency and paint it on the underneath of the floor. Do a small patch first to ensure that it sticks (it will if nylon or sil-nylon). You can also (re)seamseal with the same mixture.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by geeves
On 11 January 2014
Replies 6
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown