Motatapu Track

Hi All - I've decided to add the Motatapu Track to my to-do list for April. Has anybody had experience with this track? It seems to be getting a lot of attention in the media - an Australian tramper got stuck for 9-days, the Shania Twain foreign ownership/track access debate, and DOCs "misleading" track information. How very exciting... The DOCs site offers track notes and recommendations. But what I am after is some personal opinions. I'd really like to do this track as the scenery looks absolutely stunning. Cheers, Paul
The Otago Tramping and Mountaineering Club did this trip in November. Their photos on http://otmc.co.nz/archives/images/Motatapu2008/index.html give some feel for the country. Also, I quote here the club President's comments on the trip: "The OTMC can now add the Motatapu Track to the list of tracks the club has completed. Members will be aware that there have been comments made in the media since the track opening of the challenge presented by this track (and echoed by me in the lead up to the trip). Now, with the benefit of hindsight I'm inclined to agree that the track in its present form is definitely unique - I know of no other named track that consists of predominantly climbing, descending or sidling for the majority of its length. We tramped from the Wanaka end to Macetown. We had planned to camp beyond what is now the middle hut (the new Fern Burn Hut has now been built), but a good call was made to overnight at Highland Creek Hut. We managed this section within the DoC time of 7-9 hours but it had taken its toll!. The second day was always going to be a big day as we planned to camp in the Arrow to enable us to complete the trip in 3 days. The DoC time of 5-6 hours to Roses Hut took us nearer 7, with another 3.5 hours for the climb over (and above) Roses Saddle. A final 2 hours on Monday down a higher than normal Arrow River saw us complete the track officially at 9.15am. 15km of 4WD and numerous crossings of the Arrow saw us in Arrowtown at 1.15pm for a late lunch. Despite the forecast we had pleasant enough weather. A light shower early on Saturday, and a heavier one late Sunday (from Roses Saddle to the Arrow). The rain again started about two minutes after we got out to Arrowtown. It is hard to predict the future of the track, nor how popular it will become. It is not like the Routeburn where going back again and again is so easy. The new hut in the Fern Burn (finished, bit not available for use yet) will do little for people doing the though trip. It is approximately 2 hours from the road-end, and the track leading to it is amongst the best of the trip. Also, ending the track in Macetown seems wrong - it just seems like the end is in the middle of nowhere. DoC have provided a high-water track down the true left of the Arrow, but the car-park and official end (or start) is across the Arrow on the true right, requiring at least one crossing of a river that can become dangerous quite quickly. The much quoted sidling shouldn't trouble most able trampers - most of the time animal tracks or ledges can be easily followed. It is hard to imagine DoC being able to bench/upgrade a lot of the section from Highland Creek to Roses Hut easily, as well as maintain it. I guess at the end of the day people will either love the track or hate it. I personally enjoyed it and will be back(I can say that now) but it is challenging and shouldn't be under-estimated."
Does anyone know how far it is from Glenhu bay to the track head? I might have to walk it on Sunday 15th Feb!
I havn't been there but looking at the map it looks like only 2-3 kms.
Thanks. Should be able to hitch it. Has anyone done this track yet? It sucks that for the first 3 nights you can stay in huts but then you hit Macetown after a full day's walk and there's nowhere to stay and only the outrageously expensive Nomad Safaris to pick you up? It's 3 or 4 hours walk (with river crossings) to Arrowtown and by that late hour I might struggle to get back to Queenstown where my clean gear will be. Why bother putting huts in if everyone has to take a tent anyway? I'm not sure what to do about this. I'd presumed there'd be a cheapish way from Macetown to Arrowtown but with it being a 4WD track there won't even be many/any tourists around. Could be a very long final day or a very heavy pack...
A very long final day. However, an alternative to endless river crossings is to cross over Big Hill saddle. Some nice views over Arrowtown and surrounding district.
Well - been there, done that. Fab track. Left Roses hut on the last day at 10am, arrived Arrowtown bus stop 5.59pm - just in time for the 6pm bus :) And that's at a steady pace, no rushing. Long and dusty road out, river crossings were easy peasy though, and refreshing after all that sun.
Hi everyone, has anybody attempted this track in winter? I'm planning on doing a part of it this w-e (5-6 september). Was thinking of leaving the fernburn car park on saturday morning and spend the night at Highland creek hut and retrun on sunday the same way. dunno if there will be much snow or not.... any advice , suggestions accepted... Cheers Nic

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by pjg084
On 4 February 2009
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown