Boot brands

1–10 of 86

After nearly 25 years of tramping in NZ conditions I am curious to hear from other trampers on their idea of the perfect boot.I have tried many brands and am due to invest in a new pair.It will need to be snow and rain capable but light and robust (I'm 6ft 2 and pushing 100kg).Any ideas welcome.
After much sole {ha} searching and trial and error finally settled on Miendle Tufana Reasonable whieght wide fit great ankle support gore tex lined which works for me but not everybodies cup of tea it would seem pig skin upper which with the right treatment works well has rubberised lower boot protection not just toe so takes a good battering around sharp rocks As Ive aged my feet take a battering so replaced the innersoles with custom heat molded inners for a pretty good result
After 10 years of experimenting I have settled on the Lowa Tahoe model as my general tramping boot of choice. I am 6'1" and around 100kgs as well and these boots are really stable on all terrain without being too heavy. They also accommodate my wide kiwi feet as well as relatively high instep without needing custom insoles. With a Gortex lining they are perfect for keeping your feet dry & warm (except when wading rivers of course!).
i just got a new pair of scarpa's (forget which one exactly) gortex lined, really good price and so comfortable. better than my army boots were anyway! so if your on a budget i would reccomend these for a great starter.
I love my Meindl boots (I think the model is Engaden). I think this is one of the models with a wider fit, which I needed. They are very solid and relatively heavy (which I wanted) and extremely comfortable. I bought an orthotic insole for them as well which came to over $600 in total I think.
Two years ago I finally ditched a great pair of Asolo's that I bought in 1990. They soles, which were pretty well worn, finally fell off. Can't remember the model but they were leather and assembled in NZ.They had a great deal of use in the 15 years I had them and served me well.I understand now that Asolos are brought in to NZ fully assembled.
Thanks for the comments on boot brands, they have been very helpful.My only problems being which boot to choose and its availability.Being in a smaller city than some trampers i do not have all the makes to select from but, I do have the brands "La Sportiva", "Merrel", "Garmont" and "Salomon" can anyone give any comments on these boots,thanks.
i have two pair of tramping boots. Firstly a pair of meindl island pro, these are great boots, goretex lined, and have good ankle support. i tend to use these on multi-day tramps and during the winter when i need to keep my feet warm and dry. my other pair is a pair of saloman's which are great for use during the summer and for use higher up in the scoria because they have leather over the front which protects the boot from being damaged in the rock and gravel, so they las t alot longer, however they are not overly waterproof but do the job i ask of them very well
My boots last about 2 years,depending usually on their weight and cost.I prefer now to ignore my Scottish heritage and buy boots in the upper price range. La Sportiva is currently flavour of the month(for moi),but Mendle have a good reputation too.Because I`m on the tops a lot(rock,gravel),I look for a boot with a good rand.This rubber covering up from the sole,including the toe,helps protect the leather from abrasion.Some go for light-weight boots;I believe that these don`t service as well in harsh conditions.The most important thing,regardless of boot brand,is to regularly put them on and get out there.
I am similar weight & height. Have done about 1500 km on my Scarpa.s full leather. lots of Rock bashing. Not even one blister. Will be replacing the same. Happy tramping Brian
1–10 of 86

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by macca
On 5 February 2007
Replies 85
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown