Huxley River, Broderick Pass

Anyone been up the Huxley River North Branch to Broderick Hut or beyond to the pass? (Near Lake Ohau and the Hopkins River). We are considering this trip and would be keen to hear from anyone who's done it
Up to the pass in March last year. From Huxley Forks, Huxley River North Branch track marked up to Broderick Hut and poled route from there to Broderick Pass. Area covered by DOC under 'Ruataniwha Conservation Park'. Let me know if you require more detail.
Have just got back from a short walk up the Hopkins Valley from Monument Hut to Huxley Forks Hut. I took my 7 year old granddaughter. It was a bit of a slog from Huxley Valley to the Forks Hut because the river was highish so we took the high water route (this adds at least an extra hour to the route. My partner and his son went along the river but they found they had to cross twice and it was quite tricky. I would rate this track moderate going. There was a very experienced tramping family of six including 3 children under 10 and a 4 month old baby on the route - they went up to Brodrick Hut and back to Monument in three days. The Valley is very exposed to the Nor'west so you can get high winds (I was blown over at one point on the way back). Last time (April 2003)we went all the way up to Brodrick Hut and my partner went up to the top of the pass - we walked in along the 4WD track and straight up to Huxley Forks, Brodrick Hut the 2nd day, then back to Forks for the next night and out the following day. The 4WD track is pretty rough - only for "real" 4WDs. This is a lovely tramp, wonderful mountain views and remote enough to be very satisfying...granddaughter said she wished she could live there all the time. Beware of mice in the huts - they are very sneaky and will get into your packs if they gat a chance!
Thanks for that. We didn't have much flexibility with our dates and given the forecast for strong norwesterlies decided to go to eastern Richmond Ranges (Pelorus River and Dun Mountain) instead. Had brilliant sunny weather there and a great trip; will look at Broderick again some other time.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by chris1
On 1 January 2009
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown