Cameron Valley - Wild Mans Brother

Has anybody done the trip up the Cameron Valley and then crossed over the Wild Man's Brother Range into the Ashburton/Hakatere valley and back? Been up the Cameron before but would like to do a round trip sometime. Any tips on route and times much appreciated.
HI RobynC. Yes, I've done a circuit in there with my partner, Frank. I'll create a Freshmap jpg. and put it on the photo tab on this site. I'll call it Wild Mans Brother circuit. It was a really nice circuit and we saw chukors on a saddle as we left the Cameron. The loveliest thing was we walked in in dry weather and then a southerly blew through in the night, dumping about a foot of snow on the range so it was absolutely beautiful with all the extremes of white snow with autumnal scrub and blue water.
DoC have taken over some huts around there e.g. the Stumpy Stream one, but the hut 3km south of the Highland Home is still private.
Excellent - thanks Honora. Sounds like the perfect tramp. We're fairly new to tramping and first went up the valley a few years ago and were awestruck by the black rock and white snow and blue sky... Went back in December and were awestruck all over again. We thought up beside Spean stream (I think) looked a likely (and easy) crossing point?
Hello, I'm renewed to the forum turned up here to try help and your orderly hearts.
The proper name for the Stumpy Stream hut is the Top Hut. It is in the South Ashburton river. Frank and I plan to do a circuit in there sometime via the head of the Potts, the head of the South Ashburton and then over Stumpy Saddle back into the Potts. It will be a 3 or 4 day trip.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by RobynC
On 11 December 2008
Replies 5
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown