may and june tramp

hello! I'm currently in France but will be joining my girlfriend in NZ in mid april. Our plan would to go for a 1 month and a walk but having never being there I don't know what the weather condition will be likewith the temperature, snow... The southern island looks like the place i'd like to be but what's the situation in winter? My girlfriend doesn't have much winter walking experience and we will definitly avoid too much snow and too low temperatures... I've looking at the Te Araroa trail and well... it looks good from the distance... Would you have any ideas / comments / deedbacks /suggestions... the whole thing is pretty open, we just don't like too busy hiking trails.. thanks!! best from paris (where winter is getting wet) cedric
Some pretty good tramps in the valleys instead of the tops in the Tararuas/Ruahines and you rarely see anybody once out of the frontcountry. LAst trip was in the weekend and we went to a busy hut close to the roadend but we did not see a soul. Especially when we went offtrack shortly after that.
Kia ora Cedric - April is often excellent clear autumnal weather in the South Island, however, snow can fall at any time high in the mountains (even in the middle of summer) and by early May we have usually had the first of the winter snowfalls. So - basically you need to be prepared for anything! Where you go needs to be based on your experience as well. Many NZ tracks are rough or routes rather than trails. Are you and your partner used to off-trail tramping? The so-called 'Great Walks' are of a higher standard than many tracks, and while they can be busy (I'd avoid Easter for example) there's usually enough room for everyone. Not a bad place to start maybe, and then you could decide where else to try - most of the South Island routes are nigh on empty much of the time. Come June (and/or decent snowfall) you'll also need to be aware of avalanche risk with many of the routes involved in Te Araroa out of the question for you. In the mountains we can have snow down to low levels. The Department of Conservation website is another really good place to look at the many many fantastic possibilities (including the great walks). www.doc.govt.nz. You'll need to make sure you have warm and waterproof gear and good boots no matter where you decide to go. Have fun choosing and a wonderful time tramping.
hello both! thanks for the tips and infos... I'm more than up for off trail hiking and already practiced a lot in northern Scandinavia.. i just wanted to check what it oculd be like down there so now we'll have to decide with my girlfriend... thanks again! have good summer time tramps.. cedric

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by cedric
On 10 December 2008
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown