Mint cake

Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay carried this confection to the summit of Mount Everest in 1953, leaving one bar behind as a Buddhist offering. Kendal mint cake originated in Kendal at the edge of the English Lakes District. It was invented when a confectioner failed to stop stirring a toffee in time. The cake itself is pure sugar, and popular with mountaineers and adventurers. It keeps and travels well. Shackleton's Antarctic expedition carried Kendal mint cake, as did Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman when they motorbiked from London to New York. Mint cake is very easy to make. The recipe following contains 8000kJ -- about one day's energy intake. Glucose is available from the supermarket and stops sugar crystals forming. Peppermint oil is available from health stores. As this is the key flavour, a high quality oil is recommended. As a variation, you can use brown sugar. 150mL water 25mL glucose syrup (corn syrup) 500g white sugar 10 drops peppermint oil Before you begin, have ready a rubber spatula and a flat tray to contain the finished product. Boil the water, sugar, and glucose syrup, in a heavy saucepan, stirring all the while. Once thickened and cloudy, sit for 5 minutes, then stir in peppermint oil. Pour onto your tray so that the mixture is thin, and allowed to set rapidly. Rapid cooling prevents large sugar crystals (same principal applies to rocks -- compare diorite and andesite). Romney's Kendal Mint Cake is available from Ashore in Auckland. Read more about Kendal mint cake here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mint_cake
i'd rather eat something like trail mix, at least it has vitamins, minerals and protein in it, more sustaining...
Ive tried the stuff and for that last little push to the top there is nothing better than pure sugar although 10 minutes later your worse than you started and no amount of pure sugar is going to help. It has its place for a quick final boost and in history. It also tastes nice
makes the early explorers feats all the more amazing. you need vitamins minerals protein and fat to metabolise the sugar, too much refined sugar just strips you of all other nutrients
Agreed it's not the healthiest option. Interesting historical artifact though.
Very interesting. But I think I'll stick to my sweetened condensed milk straight from the tube, for those times when even eating chocolate is too much effort :-)
A while ago someone suggested adding chocolate covered coffee beans to scroggin. Never again will I make that mistake. They dry you out like tablespoons of salt
@Chris1 - beat me to it. Insert into mouth & squeeze for 15mins guaranteed energy. And several hours of 'repeats' of the dining experience. Coffee flavoured for the double hit.
Ive been reading a climbing book by Chris Bonnington about climbing in the Himalya in the early 80's and they were still eating mint cake then.....imagine that!

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by matthew
On 29 September 2013
Replies 8
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown