Boot Brands

1–10 of 13

Hello, What do you people think about Timberland Boots??? I would like Scarpas but doesnt fit my budget!! Im not very experienced in this sort of stuff...
From what i've heard timberland stuff is relatively lousy and not really for hiking (i mean i get the impression they're mainly casual shoes and for the odd off road incursion) for the odd day walk here and there. My first pair of boots wear solomans and they held up okay, 2nd pair Asolo TPS525/535 (amazing comfy boot would reccomend to anyone) As to what you buy, you need to think about how much use you will get out of them and what you plan to do buying quality=not buying again for a long time, *you could open a massive debate here on the whole boots vs trail runners, fingers crossed that doesnt happen*
Boots are one of those items that fall under the "you get what you pay for" heading. I've had great experience with Asolo but there are many other good brands. Check out the reviews on backcountry.com to get some ideas.
check out columbia footwear at mountain designs,,, good prices, reasonable quality
1 deleted post from bradley1
Columbia are much better than Timberland boots for tramping, Keen are quite good as well and a bit cheaper than some other brands I have Asolo 535 TPS and Lowa Ranger boots myself, I usually wear the Asolo boots. Ive had a couple of pair of Asolo so far and they last well. They are my go to brand. I only wear the Lowas for the most difficult, rough tracks they are very good but expensive. Unfortunately you need to spend a bit of $ to get good boots.
Ive got some Vasque boots from hunting and fishing that seem good and have done a good mileage. They were no dearer than timberlands Solid enough for crampons but soft enough for a 20km road walk
Sorry, can't comment on Timberlands, but I know guys who've spent significant dollar on Meindels & the like, who then spend more dollars trying to patch them up. I also know guys who buy new Scarpas every 6 months. On my budget, I've decided to buy Hi-tecs. If I get 2 seasons out of a pair, I'm happy. They're probably not worth re-soling, because the next thing to go will be the stitching. Then I've got a pair of patched-up boots when I could have replaced them with new. Suggest you give Timberland a try if they feel good, & seem suitable. Just chalk it up to experience if they're no good.
I looked at a timberland boot once and thought it very soft in the sole. Would be excellent on easy trails but put it where support and strength are not optional extras and I suspect bad things will happen
chris isnt wrong, good boots are a rip off in nz, once you know what fits you buy them overseas. get around export bans using mail forwarding companies, you can save hundreds buying from the states... under $400 then no gst to pay either.... pays for your shipping.... gearbuyer.com gives the best prices across the range of online shops
I worry that if everyone tries on boots in NZ shops and then buys them online, shops will have to stop offering free fittings and assistance. But if I bought my first pair at a shop and replaced them with another pair of the same boot bought online I'd have no guilty conscience about that. (I do think that for fairness to local retailers we ought to be paying GST on stuff bought on overseas websites.. but that is another issue, luckily not mine to solve)
1–10 of 13

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by bikinghiking
On 21 August 2013
Replies 12
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown