boots, shoes or trail runners?

hi hi i'm visiting NZ in jan-feb and planning to walk the tongariro circuit, the routeburn, the kepler and the abel tasman. i was hoping to receive some advice regarding shoes. i walked the milford last year in hiking shoes and had no problems, but for 4 multi-day walks i thought i might need something more sturdy. however when researching into boots, i found a lot of suggestions that trail runners were a much better option, with boots providing a lot less support than suggested, and the extra weight being quite a burden. but these suggestions weren't directed towards these four walks in particular, and i was wondering if it is necessary on any these walks to have boots over shoes or trail runners. also, any general advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
if you're used to walking a track like the milford in shoes, you'll be able to do the other great walks in shoes, i wouldnt say the same about a lot of other nz tracks though...
Sturdy shoes are quite adequate for the tracks you are suggesting. Gaiters would be very useful to keep debris out of your shoes (especially on Tongariro)! I have never worn boots for tramping, even on off-track / 9 day trips. In my experience people tend to have fewer foot problems, e.g. blisters, because shoes are less rigid than boots. One downside to shoes is that your feet will get wet quicker and will not be kept as warm as they would be in boots.
thanks for the advice! i didn't have any trouble on the milford so it seems shoes would likely be fine. however, would i lose anything from purchasing boots as i'll likely want to tackle more serious walks in the future? if i bought a pair for this trip planning to use them later on, would i be making the walking more difficult for myself?
depends on the boots. they vary a lot in weight. one option is getting lightweight mid height boots, which are just a bit heavier than shoes.. give a bit of ankle stability... your biggest issue will be if you go into a lot of mud or ice, for mud you need deeper tread than you normally get from shoes and a lot of lightweight boots. and for snow or ice a bit if sole rigidity helps on steep slopes.
1 deleted post from bradley1
I use all three: I have used shoes for well formed light-load trips or day trips, medium weight fabric boots on great walks and tracks and full leather boots for gnarly river/scree bashing. Personally, I would tend to wear medium fabric boots on all of those tracks, but understand that my feet will be wet most of the time if it is raining. I have a pair of Asolo Flame fabric boots that would fit the bill nicely, light, quite tough and a bit more protection than shoes. They also have an excellent RIGID sole. This is just my preference really, I find I get sore feet wearing shoes because the soles are a bit softer.
A lot of points were covered in this old thread: http://www.tramper.co.nz/?view=topic&topicid=95&id=95&layout=screen&offset=1 Waynoski has a good point that boots provide better traction in snow than shoes do. From the sound of it this won't be an issue for you though. I should clarify that my tramping shoes are full leather and a lot sturdier than running shoes.
I find the ankle support of boots essential - but maybe I have weak ankles? I would wear fabric boots on those tracks. The ones I have, just happen to be Gore Tex lined (did not pick that, they were on 'sale') and I must say it is nice to be able to walk in puddles and streams and still have dry feet. Wore a fabric pair in very rocky conditions, off track, in the upper Rainbow and cut them to pieces. Need leather for those sort of conditions and if a lot of river work is encountered. Once met a lightweight tramping fanatic who had just climbed Mt Tutuanuku wearing (very expensive) runners and crampons!

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by teartear
On 18 August 2013
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown