Mt Winterslow tramp

Hello all. I'm thinking about tramping over and around Mt Winterslow (Canterbury) in early November and I have two questions for those with local knowledge. (a) Am I going to freeze to death? (b) If anyone else here is familiar with that area (I've been all around Mt Somers before) I'd be interested in their thoughts, impressions, route advice, etc. Ta in advance.
I don't know the area but I was curious and have been looking on the map. Looks like good open tops and presumably it is within the Conservation Park. I can answer your question (a). At 1700m, yes you probably will, unless you are properly prepared. Knowing NZ weather it pays to be prepared for any sort of conditions at any time of year at that altitude. Good luck on your trip.
Cheers. I was hoping it might be a little warmer by November...oh well.
It will be warmer. There just aren't any gaurantees, and as we know, spring weather is notoriously unpredictable. Just be prepared and enjoy the trip.
Thanks for your input. Appreciated. I have had the experience of being caught on Mt Robert during a massive temperature drop and reluctantly having to abandon a trip. All part of the fun, i suppose - that "unpredictability".
Hi Zaphod B. I've been up there quite a few times via various routes. The terrain is straightforward. There's a track called Don's Route from Duke Knob, over point 810 and up to the bushline. It is maintained by the PTC and may have suffered from windfall this winter but should be alright. I wouldn't do this track in wasp season which has started now! From the bushline, it is cairned but you would need to have good nav. skills in clag. You can climb Mt Winterslow via other routes including a traverse from Peache Saddle or the ridge line east of there via spurs from near the Mt Somers Hut. They are straightforward too but wouldn't be too nice with fresh snow on snowgrass. Of course you can climb the mountain from that 4WD track on Mt Winterslow station but the cocky has plans to go into recreational tourism in the future so watch this space...for fees for access... as by no means do these people make money from high country pastoralism. His farm is destocked in the winter. Also, you can climb Mt Winterslow from the saddle on the Mt Somers Walkway. I've done this twice. A lovely circuit and a good option when the main divide is raining.
3 deleted posts from seaxsteerty, DutSnuppy, Agricateerema

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by zaphod b
On 1 October 2008
Replies 8
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown