Everest Base Camp Trek

Has anyone done this trip before ? If so could you please pass on any advice that you think may be relevant . Cheers
I did it 15 years ago so take that into account as you read these comments... Don't let anyone tell you that you need a guide. If you wish to hire a guide/porter, fine, but you can easily make the trip without those services. Walk in from Jiri, fly out from Lukla. Many people fly into Lukla but by walking in from Jiri, you'll be in better shape and be better acclimated when you hit the high altitude. Monitor how you feel. High altitude affects people differently and doesn't care how fit you may be. Be prepared to lay up for a day if you're feeling poorly. The real destination of this trek is Kala Patthar - a small peak above Everest Base Camp that provides awesome views of Everest. Be respectful of the locals. They will notice and will appreciate it. Go straight for Mike's Breakfast when you get back to Kathmandu (it's good before but even better when you've shed five kilos and are hungry). Now I want to go back...
Cheers Wasn't planning on taking a guide . The trek in from Jiri does look like a good way to start the tramp, but not sure if I will have enough time to do it as I am planning to trek to Gokyu as well .
I caught the bus from Kathmandu to Jiri and walked from there. In my view, the section from Jiri to Lukla was a highlight of the trip in that I saw very few trekkers. Often I would be the only one in the guesthouse and the Nepalese owners couldn't have been more hospitable. Once you reach Lukla, it turns into a bit of a circus with the fly in trekkers but is still very enjoyable. I walked back out to Jiri via the Cho La Pass and Gokyo Lakes. Again, highly recommended. As per Bozemans comments, if you've done a reasonable amount of tramping, you won't need a guide (despite what the locals tell you).

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Gaiters
On 14 April 2013
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown