Where do people buy boots in Chch nowadays?

1–10 of 41

I used to go for a walk down Lichfield St then Colombo St to check out what boots are available. But I couldn't even name half the shops that I used to go to, so I'm not sure how to look up where they moved to! Where do other people go now (aside from Tower Junction)?
http://www.macpac.co.nz/our-stores/northlands-mall.html http://www.macpac.co.nz/our-stores/christchurch-outlet.html R & R Sport www.rrsport.co.nz 66 Foster St Addington, Christchurch 03-365 2178
Thanks. Will check out R&R. Went to Macpac. The shop assistant said there was only one women's option for what I was after, and that it wasn't very good and was overpriced. Very impressed with her honesty - she said High Country was better for womens boots, and that's where she buys hers from!
yeah i should say shop with the sales... r&R have a sale on, good range of footwear there to compare
Aside from Tower Junction, you could try Rebel Sport if want Hi-Tech, Columbia etc ?. The Hub at Hornby has outlet shops. There's still a couple of specialty manufacturers near Phillipstown. But Tower junction has MacPac, High Country, R&R Sport, Mountain Designs, Kathmandu, Bivouac, & Hunting & Fishing. All these places are computer-linked to their other outlets are can tell you stock levels elsewhere, or get stuff brought in.
Mtn Designs stocks Zamberlans which has a good reputation but apparently doesn't come in a model without that inner gortex-lining we Kiwis love to hate. I got Frank a pair of Hi-Tec 'altitude' boots from the Footwear Factory in Woolston. He was very displeased with them. Even though they are great boots on my smaller foot so that the seams are nearer to each other, providing good support, on his larger foot they were too wide and the leather was too soft and floppy. Actually the leather is only a veneer, the rest of the material looks like tyvek or something and wears accordingly when the leather dries out due to neglect fostered from a wish to kill the dreadful boots asap. Using them to bench scree also hastened their demise. Mine are still going fairly strong.
I've never had goretex or "waterproof" boots before. How much of an issue is it? Only comfortable boots I've found so far are Vasque Wasatch (online reviews report major problems with the soles cracking apart within 1-3 years), and Vasque Bitterroot (goretex lined). My feet are too wide for the others I've tried (Kathmandu, Macpac, Bivouac and High Country so far). I don't think I'd buy online without the chance to try them on first, so I'm limited to what's around in Chch that I can try on.
gore tex, great in snow, and puddles. nice and warm, bit of a pain new if you're doing a lot of river crossing. if a lot of water gets in, it doesnt get out... although eventually teh gore tex tears and they stop being waterproof and the water gets out a bit easier. most decent boots now have gore tex.. designed by people who don't have to tramp in the nz back country...
check out R&R sports they have a reasonable range of footwear.
Have a pair of Montrail GTX (wide fit) from Bivouac. re-soled them. Re-stitched them. Weigh a ton !. Now I purchase cheaper boots, that will do the job, and replace them. Once you're over your ankles, it depends on your gaiters & how long you're 'in' as to how wet you get. I find the Hi--Tech v-lite Mach 4 Ion-mask boots are great for tromping waterways, as they seem to pump the water out fairly quickly. I always try-on before buying. Size labels are just an indication. Then I time my purchase. Those boots for example, are 25% off at Rebel Sport, & Complete Outdoors (still cnr Cashel & Barbadoes Sts)
1–10 of 41

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by chris1
On 15 March 2013
Replies 40
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown