Overnight trip from Nelson

I am visiting Nelson next weekend and looking at overnighters. The best I can come up with are Mt Starveall and a loop Hacket Ck-Totara Saddle-Rocks Hut-The Brook. Any other ideas? I am so unfamiliar with the Mt Richmond Park.
depends if you have a car, theres heaps to do in kahurangi if you do..
Yeah just want to keep it near Nelson. My partner will be dropping me off and picking up.
Mt Rintoul Hut is my favourite spot in the Richmond Ranges. Should be a good loop from the Lee River roadend if you can drive to the roadend. One long day, on half-day. Never approached it from that end though, so best ask a local if this is feasible.
Ah thanks I'll look into that one!
Following Te Araroa trail from Pelorus River (Maungatapu road end) to Hacket picnic area is about 33 km with 4 huts to choose from. Should be able to do this as a two day walk.
So I headed up the Roding River, into United Creek and kept going until it got silly. Then I climbed a slip beneath Monster Mine, bushbashed for a bit, then pushed up into the mineral belt tops. Sidled to a saddle leading to The Rocks then bush bashed across to Rocks Hut. Overall, it was pretty rough. I wouldn't do it again! However I do have an idea for a better route. Sad to see the Roding River is infested with Didymo up to the Jackson Creek confluence. I did pop up Dun Mountain this morning, which was great.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by matthew
On 17 February 2013
Replies 4
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown