Brewster Hut end of May

This is a place I've been wanting to get to for years and the opportunity presents itself in the last few days of May. There have got to be a few people in here that've been there at that time of year that can shed some light on conditions. The likelihood of snow is good, correct? I plan to spend about three nights in the hut and do day trips out, summit Armstrong and have a good look at Brewster itself. I'll be fully geared up but just want to get opinions on boots. I was thinking of a full mountain boot but perhaps there might be other thoughts ? All info welcomed.
hard to say at that time of year. winter has been coming later and later, there could be negligible snow then, just depends on when teh big snow dumps are and what the latest weather has been like after the last dump. recent years there can be hardly any reliable snow dumps then it all comes maybe not till june or even july... you rally have to look at the conditions close to the time, tat time of year you could get big snow dumps that are infrequent or just little snow at all. youre almost more guaranteed to get snow in spring than autum or even early winter. i spoke to a shuttle driver who's been living there for decades he says the seasons have definitely shifted and the snowfall is more regularly coming later and later...
Westland usually gets its first big dump of snow that stays there any time from the first to third week of May. Last year there was quite a good fall near the beginning of May but most of that dump melted before the next big one came. A fall which largely stayed at higher altitudes came about the end of the month of May though it too melted somewhat. It must have been July last year before bigger falls that persisted in the tussock & rock basins arrived. So perhaps the seasons are getting later. However I agree with your assessment that the liklihood of snow around Brewster hut in the last few days of May is good. Re waynowski's comment on spring snowfalls: It is normal for Westland to get a couple of good snow dumps in spring. It is not uncommon to get snow to quite low levels as late as December but it melts quickly at lower altitudes at that time of year. Roysta1 re boots; I'd wear an alpine type boot. i.e. something you can tramp in and out in that is also suitable for climbing in, attaching crampons to and step kicking.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by roysta1
On 6 February 2013
Replies 2
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown