Weekend plans

With a baby due in May, I want to get a few weekend trips in before it all gets too hard. I think Mt Brown Hut might be first on my list. I have a vague notion of visiting a few more West Coast remote huts. Any recommendations for weekends?
Here is the set of trips I am thinking about. I'd be keen to hear about the conditions of any of these. I gather a couple might be a little overgrown, so perhaps I should take a saw and do some work. Rolleston River to Mount Barron, down to Hunts Hut, out via Kelly's Creek, back along the road by bike. Barker Hut, Friday night in to Carrington Hut, then Saturday in to Barker. Mt Brown Hut via Geologist Creek and out via Styx River. Explorer Hut via Murray Saddle and out via Doctor Creek.
Matthew I'll comment on the two that I have some recent experience of. The tracks on the Mt Brown circuit are fine. (I've been through in the last month) As per the hut page on this site the Styx River currently needs fording twice or wading parallel to the bank because of how the river is running. This is easy at normal flows but is not a goer if the Styx is in flood. If it is raining you can still get in & out via the Geologists Creek track. The Explorer Hut via Murray Saddle & Doctors Creek route is followable but a bit overgrown in places. I was thru there last year from the Hoki Gorge as far as Doctors Creek but didn't walk the Doctors up to Explorer hut section. The last bit of track before the hut used to be in poor condition but I understand that Rex Taylor did some work on it before his accident so it may be fine now? Going out via the bottom section of Doctors Creek is rough wet going & should only be contemplated on a hot fine day with low water conditions.
Thanks for the tips Glenn. Explorer Hut this weekend if the weather allows.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by matthew
On 16 January 2013
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown