whats everyone got planned for summer?

1–10 of 14

i'm doing queen charlotte, did it last year but pulled my calf on it and couldnt complete it, so going back. then the kepler and routeburn at new years.. no worries about finding a bunk or having to take camping gear... then tasmania for a week and a half, just doing day walks.
Off to Queenstown to do the Rees/Dart with a trip up the Earnslaw Burn in mid-December. This will be a trial to see how my lower back stands up to getting back into the hills. Then want to do the 5 Passes with maybe some of the passes South of the Routeburn thrown in. Then in Late Jan its down to Lake Monowai for a 3rd attempt trying to get to Lake Roe and onwards to Manapouri. Hoping to do some some stuff around Wanaka or Makarora at Easter. Either the East Matukituki or the Blue and Makarora valleys.
January- Clements mill road to Makahu saddle east west crossing Kaimanawas and Kawekas, February- Northern crossing Ruahines from sentry box via ruahine corner Colenso and out to Kawhatau base.
Hi bigpaul, I'm planning on doing a route through the Kaimanawas, Kawekas and Ruahines this summer and was wondering if you might have any advice on this area? I'm planning a personal detour on my journey on the Te Araroa trail and am trying to figure out somewhere to send a food drop/resupply somewhere on the eastern or southern side of the Kawekas. Do you know anyone out that way or have any ideas? I'm trying to avoid hitching out and in again as my goal is a continuous journey on foot. Basically my summer plans are to continue hiking the Te Araroa trail from where I left off last summer (Taumarunui) but taking a wide detour as an alternative to canoeing down the Whanganui River.
hi big paul - presuming you are taking the legal routes (thus avoiding east taupo lands) be keen when you get a mo, to describe your planned route - will be a magic trip no doubt cheers :)
Hi Citizenjane, No easy answers I'm afraid for me it will be a 4 to 5 day walk carrying every thing. I have spent quite a bit of time in different parts of both the Kaimanawas and Kawekas but never a crossing so completing a bucket list item so to speak. My planned route will be Clements mill to Cascade hut then over Maungaorangi to Boyd. Boyd to Harkness via tussock then on to Venison tops via Te Puke and Maungaturuturu. Then Venison tops out to Makahu Saddle via either Ballard or rocks ahead and backridge depending on how im feeling at that stage. Too many long days do wear the bones down these days:)
I never decide in advance as the weather decides for us. Of course I have a very long bucket list but one thing we need to do very soon is cut and mark a track where according to the new APNP map there is indeed a track in the Koropuku Valley. Can't have the map telling porkies!
Heaps! Always have a few lists on the go. Hut revisits, new huts, hills to climb, tracks to re-cut & new areas to explore. Mainly on the West Coast but the odd foray into Canterbury & Nelson. Re visit Sir Robert hut, walk to a remote hut that I haven't been to yet; it is usually only visited by helicoptered in parties (one DOC staffer told me "it can't be walked to" but I don't believe that), walk up Mt Tara Tama & Remarkable Peak, traverse the Campbell Range, track work in the Hoki & Arahura catchments etc.
1 deleted post from glennj
Thanks bigpaul for sharing your route. If you have any other comments or are interested on following my plans you can check that out here: http://teararoatrail.freeforums.org/instead-of-the-whanganui-river-t15.html
I know a few folks who been to Sir Robert. Emma Richardson is one and she works for DoC in Hoki if you didn't meet her at the launching of the book last Friday.
1–10 of 14

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by waynowski
On 21 October 2012
Replies 13
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown