Tramping buddy who likes to laugh wanted!!

Hey, I'm visiting NZ for a month (late 20s, female) from Canada. I'd love to explore the country on foot as much as possible and am looking for a hiking buddy. I'm in Rotorua now, would like to explore Abel Tasman Park, Milford Sound and - I know I may be being a bit over-enthusiast here-but Stewart Island and finally the Tongariro Northern Circuit when it opens again. It's such a beautiful country, I'm trying to get it all in. Looking for a tramping buddy for any of these or other exciting areas - shoot me an message. Time-wise I'm flexible taking things as they come
the tongariro northern circuit is open.. it reopened a few weeks ago
Oh, the DOC office in Rotorua told me it was closed for the week because of bad weather?
Track status: The Circuit is open via Emerald Lakes-Oturere junction (including Ngauruhoe and Tongariro summits). The only section of track that remains closed at this time is from Emerald Lakes-Oturere junction to Ketetahi Road parking area - check back for updates. Winter conditions - Snow and ice covers the higher section of the track - alpine experience and equipment is required. Volcanic alert - Read about the current volcanic alert on the Geonet website. http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/tracks-and-walks/central-north-island/turangi-taupo/tongariro-northern-circuit/
doc and the shuttle companies will tell you its closed to stop inexperienced people going especially on popular tracks that attract a lot of inexperienced peole.. doc dont usually close parks for weather conditions, usually only flooding. and even then they seldom stop people.
Hi, I just did some tracks till upper lake in Tongariro 2 weeks ago and some tracks are already opened! I'm aiming to come back there to take some shots in the incoming weekends, as you're in Rotorua and I'm in Tauranga, if you like we can set up such weekend. Another one that I would suggest is to go to Cathedral Cove in Coromandel...sounds good? cheers
Hi, i'm travelling to different spots from the Waikato, Coromandel and up to northland as well as west coast quite often, flick me a mesage if your interested in discussing some optins of places to look at. Cheers Mike
the whole tongariro crossing is open
I didn't realize the circuit was "closed". I'm used to closed meaning absolutely no access - period. Thanks for the heads up! Now, I've made plans to head to Abel Tasman park in the next few days and hike there. I was going to return and hike in the area starting at the beginning of November for a week.
Unfortunately, I don't know if I will have time to explore much more of NZ as well - I'm a bit short on time!! Pls keep me posted if you're in the area.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by canadianhiker
On 13 October 2012
Replies 9
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown