Interpreting compact camera battery metrics

Hello. This isn't specifically tramping but I figure people here will have some experience with cameras and camera batteries. Have compact cameras reduced in effective battery power capacity since the AA days, or am I mis-interpreting the metrics? My last couple of trampey cameras have been a Canon Powershot A710 and then an A720. Both awesome little cameras albeit now dated, and both of which take AA batteries. With them, I've never had any low-battery-capacity issues as long as I stuffed them with 2x 2500 mAh NiMH rechargeable batteries, and kept a charged spare set just in case. I never thought about this objectively until now that I need to compare it, but review sites such as http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A720IS/A720ISA6.HTM rate its CIPA battery life for that type of battery at between 400 and 900 shots, depending on the whether the LCD is switched on at the time. (Unlike today's compact cameras, they still gave it a viewfinder.) AA batteries are dead in the compact camera market replaced by the more compact and light-weight lithium-based camera batteries (I'm sure others know more than me which is why I'm asking), and the sorts of cameras I've been looking at are these ones: http://bit.ly/VM0lG0 If you scroll down the page, the CIPA battery life stated for these cameras is only 230, 320 and 260 by comparison... and according to the reviews, the one in the middle is considered really really good in today's compact camera market. So I'm starting to get concerned about what to expect, especially since camera batteries these days aren't as easily bought on the road. Obviously battery life depends on how you use the camera, but I'm looking for something that'll last at least as well as my current camera if I use it in a similar way. Has effective battery power really gone down-hill from what was possible with AA batteries, or is there something about the CIPA standard which has changed over time that I'm mis-interpreting here?
24 comments
21–24 of 24

the new formats of cameras are probably being speced to take over htose specs... the G series used to be bigger cameras, they decided to pare them down.... the g12 i have found to have great battery life,, its got a big screen so i guess that has affected the ratings. if you're using the screen alot you're killing hte battery...
I also ended up replacing my Lumix with a Fuji Finepix however mine is the F550EXR. I haven't given it a really good workout yet so am not sure how the battery life is. Picture quality is pretty good although I don't notice any improvement on my Lumix. Main problem I've noticed is that the dial thingy for changing settings is super sensitive and I can't easily change settings while on the move any longer - I find I have to stop and stand still to do it.
1 deleted post from Yarmoss
Ive got a Fuji Finepix. Havnt really used it tramping here, I bought it for my trip to Europe last year. In general the 4 double A batteries seamed to last a couple of days of pretty intense use. I got around the 8 day Tour of Mont Blanc on a couple of sets of batteries. The more you use the lense and flash the faster they deplete. Good camera though, love the Panorama feature.
I've taken a chance on a Finepix F770 and I'll see how it goes, which apparently has reasonably good battery life in the field, reasonably good optics, a kick-arse high-sensitive GPS antenna (actually the only one for which I've seen vaguely credible positive reports about the GPS), and a marginally larger sensor than other digital compacts in the same range. The reviews are a little mixed such that people seem to really like it or really hate it, but when I read 1/5 reviews like "this camera is stupid because I wanted one with a viewfinder", I wonder more about the person doing the reviewing than the camera, and it's in enough of a niche that there aren't enough reviews to really smooth out stuff like that. Apparently the Canon Powershot SX260 HS is the current popular way to go in this category for most people, but I couldn't find any verified info about the GPS antenna, and a lot of vague info about people having problems and delays with it, as if with most cameras it might just have a cheapo antenna. Plus the battery drain reportedly is on the rapid end. The other strong one is the Sony Cyber-shot HX-30V, but again the GPS is a black box and there are a few wacky issues people have like having to charge batteries inside the camera (unless paying lots extra for a separate charger) and a few other things. So the Fuji one's a bit of a risk but it'll be fun to play with for a while. I guess I'll find out. Thanks for the tips and feedback in the thread.
21–24 of 24

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by izogi
On 10 October 2012
Replies 23
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown