Someone to do a 3 day hike in Queenstown, July

Hey everyone, I'll be in Queenstown from around July 23rd to the 29th am an keen to do a track whilst there. Unfortunately I'm on a bit of a time crunch and don't have much gear with me as I'm backpacking at the moment, so it'll have to be a 3 day max one (I believe that eliminates Milford Sound). I'm still in the middle of doing research as to the most feasible track, but would love to have someone join me, or even give me suggestions. Thanks!
1 deleted post from strider
Hi Ally ally, You picked a tricky time of year to go on a 3 day tramp in the Q'town area :) You will probably be limited to a valley trip, going high or over a saddle will depend on your level of equipment and expertise with Winter conditions. The avalanche risk can be very high and post-holing thru snow is never fun. Maybe the lower Caples or Routeburn Flats (or possibly Routeburn Falls) spend a day, then walk out again. If you get good weather it can be magic, but once the Sun goes down or behind the mountains its bitterly COLD. I did a Winter tramp to Falls hut once and with the full moon on the mountain snow and a crystal clear sky.....fantastic. You will miss the full Moon but it will be close by the 29th Be careful and be prepared whatever you do. If in doubt don't go. And don't go alone. Cheers Chris:)
I should have added, check with DOC in Glenorchy on track conditions and weather outlook etc before you set out.
You don't necessarily have to go to the national park to enjoy a three day outing. There is always the option of staying closer to QT and visiting the Pisa Conservation area which can be accessed by any one of 8 different points between Cromwell, Wanaka and QT. You could use Wanaka Connexions bus service to drop you off or collect you. There are a couple of huts available. I last got dropped off at the Crown Range to walk to Meg Hut, then KirtleBurn Hut and out to Wanaka over three days. The route would be in snow for alot of it and snowshoes would help. You could even visit the Snow Farm. Alternatively perhaps make your way from Wanaka to Cameron Flat on the Matukituki and use the bridge to access the East Matukituki. Walk to Junction Flat, Kitchener stream and Rock of Ages Bivvy. Then perhaps return to Junction Flat and head further up the East Matukituki to Ruth Flat. Return to Cameron Flat after that. That trip would require a tent if you were to stay at Ruth Flat. Otherwise base yourself at the bivvy. It all depends on how self sufficient you are and whether you can navigate a little.
Check with DoC Glenorchy ? Didn't DoC close this Information Centre several years ago in preference to using it's Queenstown office ?
Yes, they refer you to the Track & Transport depot/ shop down the road once you're in Glenorchy.
Typical, another one bites the dust! You could be right, I haven't lived down that way since 1994 so my advice might be a bit dated sorry.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by allyally
On 15 July 2012
Replies 6
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown