Conditions of Mt Holdsworth Jumbo Circuit

Hi there! I am traveling around the north island and definitely want to go tramping. But I am a bit afraid of the weather... I'll be around the Tararua Range next week, and I was wondering if anyone knows the conditions of the track? I read on DOC website that some bridges have been vanished. Has anyone done this track lately? How is it on the top? I am afraid of too much snow... Thank you very much!
Last week there was plenty of snow but the warm rain has probably washed it way now. However the weather mid next week could replace it all. Without knowing your experience and noting your fear of snow I would suggest Holdsworth is a bad choice at this time of year. There are many lower routes in the Tararuas rthat could be more suitable. Something like Tutawai either from Kaitoke or Carterton is a good 2 day return Mitre Flats is a good leg stretch or you can extend it to Cow Creek.
I was up at Powell Hut and Atiwhakatu huts over Queens Birthday (3 weeks ago) with my 9 year old daughter, (didn't go across the tops to Jumbo because of the weather). A couple of bridges have been washed away/damaged on the Atiwhakatu track, both easily negotiated by crossing the streams in non-flood conditions. Some other trips that avoid going above the bushline are: heading to Totara Flats from Mt Holdsworth carpark then out at Walls Whare or continuing on to Cone/Tutuwai then out at Kaitoke, or out and back to Totara Flats. The Herepai/Roaring Stag Lodge loop from Putara.
Thank you very much for these informations! I'll have a better look at the tracks you are talking about. Cheers

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Sabine
On 21 June 2012
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown