South Island Cross Country Ski Routes in September

I hope I am not offending anyone by requesting info on Cross Country Skiing on a Tramping site, but then I have always just considered myself a bushwalker "on skis"! I am looking to do some touring in the South Island this September. We will be using lightweight touring gear (i.e. 3 pin bindings/ cables) and carrying overnight packs. I’m seeking help in identifying some suitable 3-4 day routes and possibly even associated GPS tracks! I already have Broadbent’s book, but would like additional info tailored to lightweight gear and longer trips, with or without huts. Any help would be appreciated. Note: we are experienced / reasonably fit cross country skiers who regularly ski Kosciuszko National Park in Australia, and will be doing a NZ based avalanche awareness course before setting out.
A high country rather than alpine destination, but quite a bit goes on in central otago: oteake and old man ranges. If that's your sort of thing, call doc in alexandra. Several of their staff are cross country skiers including one of the receptionists, sue. You should be able to get someone there with experience who can give you advice on that area. There are commercial outfits with concessions to operate ski and snowshoe touring on the ranges east of lake tekapo. This is public land: te kahui kaupeka conservation park, so you could go without needing the guiding companies if you can find out good routes. It has several doc huts and a section of the Te Araroa trail. can't give you a contact name but may be worth investigating. Doc twizel maybe. But i dont know if anyone in that officeinto their xcountry skiing.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Feral Kaza
On 17 June 2012
Replies 1
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown