"Outside" Backpack

I have an "Outside" Backpack. It was made in NZ. A strong, single compartment large capacity canvas pack with a top pocket, crampon patch and not much else. Mine is a size 4 which is the largest at around 100 plus litres. Near as I can remember it is around 25 years old and while still serviceable after many long years tramping in Australia (where I live) and a couple of trips to NZ, it is in need of replacement. The much smaller Cactus Hector would be the current equivalent in style. Question 1: Does anyone know the history of this pack/company? Question 2: Would anyone still have a size 4 tucked away that they would be willing to sell?
It's a good question. My understanding is that they were designed by Rob Hall and (possibly) Gary Ball. The story I heard was that they took a Macpac design, stripped away everything unnecessary and beefed up everything important. Even if that's apocryphal, it's a fair description of the end result. They're fantastic packs. I bought mine in the late 80's; I've been looking to replace it for some time but can't find anything equivalent; so I just keep patching it up and continue to use it. There were at least a couple of designs. I don't think many were made but you still see the occasional one around. Thanks.
Twin Needle may be able to custom make you a pack. They were planning to offer this service at some stage. It may have been affected by the quakes like most things around here!

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by jvangemert
On 14 June 2012
Replies 2
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown