North island, 3-4 days, medium, with hotpools?

Hi peeps! Glad to find you all here. I'm fairly new to the country, but already in love with the tramping culture. My lover is coming to stay in June, and I'd like to take her out into a park. She hasn't really done this before, but is fit and game. I'm looking to find a route that would give us access to some natural hotpools/rivers, and wouldn't be really hard. About 4 days, can probably arrange transport. I was thinking Urewaras or Kawekas..... but as I'm based in Wellington, would be happy not to go that far out if possible. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. :)
June is not the month I would chose to take up tramping but there is a nice very easy trail just north of Napier that takes in a couple of hot pools but its really 2 days not 4. Because its near the coast and not very high it should not become overly difficult due to weather but prepare all the same. In the North island there are not many hot pools that are a multi day tramp to get to Most are no more than an hour or so from the road and many are right by the car park. South island though has some epic trips to hot pools you wouldnt believe and most renowned is Welcome Flat although this is not in your 4 day timeline from Wellington.
Thanks Greeves, Would that trail be the one that follows the Mohaka River, with Te Puia hut on it? (Though that's more west of NApier, in the Kaweka park) If not, what would you call it? :) Also, as hotpools aren't the only option, how about the Tongariro circuit? Lastly, we actually have a week, and flying down to ChCh isn't out of the question if there's some epic pools..... Welcome Flat is probably about right for her ability, but I think it'll be too busy for us. Any help, once again appriciated. :) Chris.
sounds right but Ive never been there Others might be able to advise better. Tongariro has a mixture of tramps from easy 2 hour expeditions through to the crossing which in winter would be for experts with gear only. Even then a walk up to Keratahi hut shouldnt be too hard and gets good views of the Keratahi springs which you arnt allowed any more to go right to. To base in Tokannu gives access to a lovely commercial pool that is very cheap for what it is and if you stay in the motor camp/motel they have another pool on site included. Problem with alpine tramping in June is the weather.It could be anything from warm and sunny to hurricane winds to ice to blizzard and it can change from one to the other without due warning. Its shaping up to not include the first weather option.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by chrischicken
On 12 May 2012
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown