Where to tramp in May ??

I’m trying to squeeze in a tramping trip to NZ sometime in May – looking for some suggestions for a 5 day tramp (or thereabouts) taking in some tops (or passes, at least). Most of the group won’t have ice experience although, otherwise, all will be experienced trampers. Given the approach of winter, I’m thinking options are limited on the SI - would love to do 5-Passes or Westland tramps (eg Diedrich - Toaroha Ranges) but I reckon the risk of bad weather is too high. Perhaps north end of the SI – Richmond Range? Douglas? What about the NI - Kaweka/Ruahine ? What are normal conditions like in May?
Maybe the Wangapeka track would be a good option? Yesterday the Diedrich & Toaroha Ranges were as good as snow free but from the first to 3rd week of May is usually when you get a good snow dump that doesn't go until late spring/early summer. Generally March or early April is a good time to be on the Westland tops as there is little snow & settled weather.
Thanks, glennj - Wangapeka is certainly an option although I've tramped a bit further north along the Leslie and down the Baton Valley. It will depend a lot on the makeup/experience of the group (which is as yet undetermined). Would much snow be expected on the Kawekas in May?
I think the Kawekas are generally snow free in May, and a tops trip ending at the Hot Springs near Te Puia Hut or Makahu Road end would be perfect at that time of year.
What tracks would you guys recommend in May 2018? First time to NZ (visiting Canberra, AUS for work actually from Canada). Would love some hints about how to plan my vacation? Including duration etc and partners. E.g shall I book a week or a month? Am thinking primarily at Fiordland. Do I need to rent a car? Been climbing up to 6k, I usually hike around 2500m, occasionally higher, but I don't really plan to bring crampons as I'm not actually a climber, but a hiker (with all the gear -although I don't necessarily plan to bring stuff like my ultralight alpine/4 seasons tent). Any hints of tramping partners would be appreciated, thanks, Marian
Ok let me elaborate, First I was looking at Milford Track (although not sure about the flies and the rain). Then I started to consider Routeburn Track but the pass might be closed/dangerous in the winter, correct? Lastly I read that "The Hollyford Track is the only major track in Fiordland at low altitude which can be walked in any season and also connects to the Fiordland coastline", but is it as beautiful as Milford? Shall I aim for both Milford and Hollyford Tracks and leave Routeburn for a summer trip? Or shall I look into totally other hikes/tramps? BTW, is this an active forum and are other other forums as well? Thank you in advance, Marian
2 deleted posts from Pro-active, youandjon60

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by bernieq
On 12 April 2012
Replies 5
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown