Toaroha/Browning Range/Styx River tracks

I'm thinking of doing the loop around Cedar Flats/Zit Saddle/Crawford Junction/Browning Biv/Styx River (BV19) in April. What are the conditions like? Would it be impassable in bad weather? How is the track going out to Boo Boo hut?
The Zit Lathrop circuit tracks apart from the main valley Toaroha have just been remarked & had a light trim. The alpine marking is preety good now. (a lot of the markers were previously blown off or the fibre glass stds had snapped at ground level) The western side of Zit Saddle was free of snow as of yesterday. Zit Saddle can be tricky in white out conditions if you don't know the route well but it will be better now it has been remarked. I've done the whole loop once & chunks of it twice more since the beginning of Feb this year. The track to Boo Boo hasn't been recut yet & is programmed for a cut summer 2012/13
Thanks for the info. Is there one end that is better to start at? A friend told me the track was 'boggy' - what is the track like underfoot at the moment?
Hi again. You can walk it in either direction but my preference would be to do the Lathrop Saddle first. i.e. go up the Styx and out the Toaroha. Boggy bits are infrequent. There used to be a lot of bog between the Toaroha roadend & the first section of river walking in the Toaroha but they have been fixed by a combo of boardwalks, detours & metalling.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by DebK909
On 28 March 2012
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown