rees dart track in oct?

hello all i am in the process of organizing a trip to NZ in mid oct and was thinking about hiking the rees dart track with an off sute to the cascade saddle is this a doable thing in october?
48 comments
31–40 of 48

By classes I was referring to the Yosemite Decimal System.. e.g., Class 1: Walkup Class 2: Off-trail, scrambling, might need to use hands for balance Class 3: Must use hands, falls can be bad, not difficult enough to really search for holds nor use a rope Class 4: You fall unroped, you probably die Class 5: Technical climbing The scree slopes you're talking about: do you mean kind of small talus where you're testing every step, or do you mean something smaller and more gravelly? Maybe 30-35 degrees, or steeper? I think I'll pass on bringing a tent. For one, it doesn't sound like one can get much sleep with the keas around. For two, I can't imagine passing up the ability to stay in a hut cheaply. In the US this kind of backcountry accommodation is crazy expensive in our national parks if you're lucky enough to win the lottery to be able to make a reservation. It'll feel great to make a trip where I don't have to carry a tent, 8 pounds of of water at once (since it looks to be everywhere out there), a sleeping pad, nor a bear-proof food canister in my pack. How are the views of Dart Glacier if you have to opt out of hiking to Cascade Saddle? I was thinking of doing this trip to get to see a large glacier from reasonably close (not planning on actually getting on the thing though). I might still do the Franz Josef tour too, but taking a helicopter up seems too much like cheating!
Also, what's a reasonable amount of time to dedicate as weather days? Should I expect 1 out of every 3 days on average to be really rainy? One out of 4? Thanks waynowski for all your help.
Oops, just checked the map and it looks like there won't be views of Dart Glacier from the hut. Looks like pretty easy terrain to get near the moraine though.
it's class 2, walking pole makes it easier for balance and stability, you dont have to test every step. you just have to pay attention to where you're putting your feet, its probably 30 to 40 degree sloope, it varies, sometimes better, as i said a lot of people do the walk no problemss. in dry weather you follow the riverbed most of the way to the end of the glacier, that track is only really needed if theres rain the section of track nearest the hut you ahve to follow till teh river plain widens. theres a large ice wall there that is definitely worth the view,and any distance you can go up towards cascade saddle improves the view.
the weather could do absolutely anything, thats NZ weather, it could be bad weather the whole time, it could be good weather the whole time, expect at least some bad weather, if it rains heavily expect to have to wait a day or more for the rivers to subside before you can continue . november the weather is variable can still get bad storms, though usually not a lor if any snow. the really settled weather often doesnt come till january... this is what the track is like to cascade saddle teh second shot is looking towards the saddle the actual track is out of shot just to the right but it shows the whole slope just have a go, your instinct will tell you whether you want to complete it or not. https://picasaweb.google.com/107950708934293284926/CascadeDart#5590828314613222850 https://picasaweb.google.com/107950708934293284926/CascadeDart#5590828496051712066
click on mountains and parks, the aspiring forecast is only a couple of days ahead, possibly longer for weeeknds so use teh forecasts for the surrounding areas lik fiordland or southern lakes also use the rural forecast for westland . the forecasts arent always totally accurate but they are still accurate enough bear in mind if it rains often it rains for a few hours the rivers can go up fast but can go down just as fast if it stops raining so dont be put off by rain, be patient and all will be well... http://www.metservice.com/mountain/index http://www.metservice.com/mountain/index
actually the track is bafely visible. cuts acroos from about two thirds the way up on the right on a slight diagonal across the slope. further up it zig zags on the steepest sections for easier walking. this was late march. any snow around was much higher and year round.. https://picasaweb.google.com/107950708934293284926/CascadeDart#slideshow/5590828496051712066
No you cant see the glacier from the Dart hut. From memory its about 4 hours to get up to the glacier. You'll see the snout long before you get to Cascade Saddle, its then about an hours climb up to the saddle proper. Fantastic view of the glacier from up there and into the Matukituki. Keas aren't really a problem on the Rees/Dart. For most of the time you'll be at too low an altitude for them. You'll likely only encounter them up on the saddle area if anywhere. Further around from the saddle is Snowy Creek which is where most people camp who stay up there. The camp site is roughly 30 minutes walk from the saddle. A tent could be useful at Dart hut as that place can bulge at the seams with people at times but you'll probably be fine in October. Still early in the season. Its a straight forward walk to the saddle from Dart hut. As Waynowski says main danger is the side streams after rain. Expect 1 day in 3 for rain but who knows, NZ weather is crazy to predict... might be a 2 week drought or 2 week flood or anything in between. If you want to try and see another glacier (thats nice and simple to get to yet off the tourist trail) then I could recommend the Brewster glacier, between Makarora and Haast (you'll pass by it between the tourist glaciers of Fox and Franz Josef, and Wanaka. 3 hour climb from the car park to the Brewster hut, and then 2 hours from the hut to the glacier. You could go up and down in a weekend.
Do you think Brewster is a more interesting trip than Rees-Dart + Cascade Saddle? I only have time for a couple of trips; I want spend some time with family while there, as much as part of me would like to spend all 19 days I'll be in NZ doing backcountry stuff. For the other trip I'm leaning towards Mueller Hut since the views of Mount Sefton look incredible there. Plus there's the allure of climbing the peak behind it that Hillary got his start on, not to mention watching the avalanches on Sefton. As it stands now I think Routeburn will be my backup plan if Cascade Saddle doesn't look doable; the side trip up the North Branch of the Route Burn looks pretty incredible from a trip report or two I have read; especially in November with snow-capped peaks.
i havent done brewster. do you mean the hut or the mountain>? , mount brewster is a harder trip if thats your intention, and it's a lot higher, theres good 360 degree views from mearby mt armstrong. its a quicker trip to mt armstrong compared to the rees dart, cascade saddle is a hard one to beat for scenery i'm not sure there are any shuttles going to the brewster hut track you might have to hitch.... you have to book the routeburn at that time of year it can fill up if you wait till the days before your intended trip. i think you really need to prioritise what you want to do you're considering a lot of trips some are a fair distance apart. on limited time....
31–40 of 48

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by linz01
On 15 February 2012
Replies 47
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown