Olivine Ice Plateau

Hello I'm very keen to visit the Olivine Ice Plateau, I plan you head up the Beansburn, Forgotten River to get access the Plateau. My question is, would this be suitable in April, or would it be too late in the season? Thank you for your help
The problem late in the season would be that the ice on the plateau and other glaciers will be pretty broken up, so getting around at higher levels may be difficult. You may get in before the weather breaks and you also need to remember that days will be shorter that time of year. Are you planning to take the direct route from the Beansburn to the Forgotten River, as described in Moir's? I think that is all on rock so should be OK.
Hello! Thank you for you response! Yes the moirs route via beanburn to forgotten river. Even if i just went to the bivvy at the head of forgotten river I'd be happy! Looks like epic country! I guess time shall tell, early April to mid April will be the only chance I get to have 7 - 9 days off work. I want to descend via Olivine Gorge then head to Big Bay and end up in Maritns bay.
I am not sure if anyone has been down the Olivine Gorge in recent years. I went down there once in the early 1970s but had been told that the route was pretty much impassable now. The description in Moirs is the same one that has been there for about 30 years. I recall going downstream past the bluff and then climbing up a dry creek bed. From there the route follows a little ledge through bluffs. I recall our leader stressing out and marveling at the route finding. The route that we took last time I was there in the 1990s was to cross Four Brother's Pass into the Diorite and drop down into the Pyke from there. It was still epic but at least the consequences of loosing your way is not as severe.
We were camped at the Olivine Flats last march and talked to two older guys who were also heading up the Forgotten river. They had taken a stroll over to where the Olivine flats give way to bush further downstream and seemed to think the path would continue. Moirs suggests the direct route from Beansburn to the Forgotten river is an alpine route and the descent could be tricky.
Getting up to the Forgotten river from Olivine Flats is easy.You go up to the pool where the Forgotten comes out of the gorge through a narrow slot, then scout around to your left(true right) and pick up a track that heads up. It comes out onto pleasant slabs above the gorge, with views down to the Olivine Flats. You don't need to gain much more height, just sidle into the Forgotten Flats. When we were there a slip had formed a large lake at the foot of the flats and the hardest part was getting around that. However it was probably a temporary geological feature so my guess is that it would be gone by now. From the flats follow the stream up to the bivy, which is under the largest rock on the slope below Forgotten River col (it's obvious). To avoid large tussocks and scrub, don't leave the stream bed unil you are below the large rock, then you will find open rocky beds that allow you to get up to the rock

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by frodo
On 2 February 2012
Replies 5
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown