Mount Somers

HI I'm thinking of doing the Mount Somers track but as i am new to tramping I don't know if it is alright for beginners, could anyone please tell me if it would be alright me please?
You can approach the Mt Somers Walkway from one of two carparks.From the southern end,Coalminers Flat,it`s about 2-3 hours easy going, to Woolshed Creek Hut,26 bunks.Your grandmother could do it!From there,depending on your will,you could high-tail it back the way you came or press on,3 hours,to Pinnacles Hut,Bit of uphill,but after a day or so licking your wounds at Woolshed Creek,you`re ready to climb Everest!from Pinnacles,about 3 hours out to Sharplin Falls carpark.Don`t rush it.There`s lots to see within 20 minutes of Woolshed Creek Hut;just let the explorer in you take over.DOC at Geraldine are worth talking to.Mt Somers was built 90 million years ago,volcanic origins.We live within cooee & still find the mountain interesting.Have a go.Goodluck.
Mt Somers track as detailed above (Coalminers Flat to Woolshed Creek Hut to Pinnacles Hut to Sharplins Falls carpark) is a great trip for beginners. Do it over three days so you have plenty of time. I went in to Woolshed Creek hut for my Hen's party, a couple of the group were complete non trampers (and we were carrying some rather nice but heavy drinks and food!) and they all managed fine. There is a bit of uphill but it doesn't last long. Good swimming spots nearby too. Make sure you have the appropriate gear and let someone know where you are going, then have fun.
Thanks for that guys, after reading that i think i might have a go at it

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by I <3 TRAMPING
On 10 January 2012
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown