Heaphey vs. Abel Tasman

I only have about 5 days in the northern region of the south island and was wondering which track is better. I am a pretty experienced hiker and have seen a large majority of the north island so far. I'm looking for the more challenging and mountainous track. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Neither is challenging or mountainous, but the Heaphy is more secluded, and more aerobic.
Have you considered doing something in Nelson Lakes area, its only an hour from Nelson.
Highly reconmend either the Travers-Sabine circuit(Angelus Hut will be very busy though)in Nelson Lakes or the Tablelands circuit in Kahurangi NP and both are close to Nelson.
I see that the swing bridge near West Sabine Hut on the Travers Sabine has been taken out by a flood. When I was there around this time last year, crossing the West Sabine River would of been pretty difficult, so I would not plan on doing that trip if you only have a limited time. Here is the safety alert from DOC: The swingbridge down stream of West Sabine Hut (grid reference: E1574014 N5349529) crossing West Sabine River has been destroyed by a flood. The Travers/Sabine Circuit can only be completed by crossing the river. This may not be possible after rain or for less experienced trampers during normal flow. Tablelands is a pretty special place and if i was not working over New Years I may well have headed that way myself. Another suggestion would be the Wangapeka, alhtough transport can be a bit of a pain.
may be mt robert car park to sabibe hut mt cedric to angelus hut or camp at hinapoui tarn hopeless hut via sun set saddle hope less to lake head for lunch then back to car park very doable and highly recomended during this trip you experience a bit of every thing bush, tops travel and you can also sumit angelus peak plus no river crossings
I did the Wangapeka and Leslie-Karamea in November, it is a beautiful tramp. Many, many creek and river crossings. Plan for extra days due to flooding.I hitch hiked, which worked out pretty well. The 1000 Acre Plateau near Murchison is amazing and a bit challanging as well. There are 2 unbridged river crossings and one landslide close to Lake Matiri. You could tramp to Larrikins Hut in 1 very long day (the climb from Lake Matiri to Poor Petes Hut is exhausting). Check out the little pools near Larrikins hut and go up The Needle the next day. 5 days should give you a good window for it. Highly recommend it, the views are great and the 100 Acre Plateau is special. http://tramper.co.nz/?3358 Mount Owen is an amazing place as well. I would rather do any of the mentioned tramps then the Heaphy or Abel. Less crowds and cheaper.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by TXgeologist
On 30 December 2011
Replies 6
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown