hiking Cascade-ReesDart ... right off the plane!

I'm doing some hiking before a conference and time constraint mean I'm landing one afternoon in Queenstown & starting the Cascade through to Glenorchy the next 4 days. I can't fly with stove gas & may not find a store open when I get into Wanaka around 6:30. If I have to hike the trail without a stove (but with a tent) is it safe to assume: a) I might make use of the stove in the huts b) I can get a spot in a hut (Aspiring, Dart, Daley's Flat, Chinaman's Flat) at the last minute in high season? (January 7-10) (I'm happy to camp near the huts) Thanks!!!
1 deleted post from waynowski
apart from aspiring hut there are NO STOVES in the huts you should be able to rent or buy something from queenstown or wanaka the huts will probably be full but its first come first , once all the bunks are taken people sleep wherever they can in or around the hut..as long as you get a ticket preferably. otherwise you will have to pay the ranger a penalty. b
1 deleted post from waynowski
Call one of the outdoor stores in Wanaka and pay for fuel by C/C over the phone or email. Ask them to leave the fuel somewhere for you to pick up. I do it alot. Bivouac in ChCh did it for me only a few weeks ago. Wanaka has 'Goodsports' for eg.
You say you're landing in QT in the afternoon. Shop for one in QT.
...or a quick stop at the nearest petrol station if you have a liquid fuel stove.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by cdnhiker-eh
On 27 December 2011
Replies 4
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown