Brewster Hut to Makarora Hut route?

Hi there, Am thinking about heading from Brewster Hut to Makaroroa Hut this Summer (Late Dec/early Jan) and was just wondering if anyone has done this and can provide some info on what the best route is? I know you can head down from near Mount Kaye into the Scree basin and then follow the side valley down into the Makarora but I have been told you need crampons for this all year round and was hoping not to have to carry them. Has anyone done this and do you need crampons? Another idea is to continue down the SW ridge from Mt Kaye and the just after Hawke Spur take the SE wide ridge down to meet the Makarora valley just after where the track ends. Any ideas on what this would be like? Thanks for your help, Hannah :)
1 deleted post from Yarmoss
Moirs Guide North covers this route. Its been a while since Ive read it but I think I remember something about crampons and an iceaxe being required all year round. I would expect there to be snow on the South side of the ridge at New Years, the topomap certainly shows that as a permanent snowfield. From Mt Kaye you may be able to skirt the snow by heading towards Peak 2010 and desending from there, guess it depends on conditions, otherwise I would take a look at the South side of Hawk Spur. However, I would certainly be taking my iceaxe if I was doing this crossing.
I've stood above the scree basin and seen the entire route clear of snow. It was late summer. It's a long way up to get there and find you need the tools though. Why not take them and schedule a side trip to the glacier.
Thanks for all your help - sounds like we might be taking the gear just in case! Will have a look at Muir's guide as well to see if there is anymore info.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by HannahN
On 30 November 2011
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown