Coromandel Traverse

Gidday there, great site, have got lots of ideas from here in the past. Has anybody ever done a traverse across the Coromandel Peninsula? I am trying to find any tracks between Te Puru and near Tairua, but the eastern section particularly is scarce on tracks without finding your own way. Getting to Hikuai seems fairly straightforward, but looking more for a 'coast to coast' type journey. The other option of crossing to the north of Table Mountain and heading to Coroglen, and then Whitianga Harbour may be better. I would think it possible to get to Table Mountain/Mount Rowe on the first day. and then head north on the second day.
You could start end of Te Puru or Waiomu Valley road. Head on to the Te Puru Track continuing until you cross the Tapu Coroglen Road. From here on it is more route than track, navigation required.Plus it is not easy travel. Can find camp sites between pt 731 and Papakari. Following ridge to Porua and over pt 338 you drop down to Finlayson stream which then becomes the Kaimarama River. Eventually you end up at the end of the Kaimarama Road some small distance from Whitianga.
Interesting, I didn't see that route on the Topo50 maps. It is on the 1:250 000 scale maps on DOC's map viewer though. I';; look into it though, thanks!
Map Toaster and Memory Map show it, doesn't come up on Tumonz. Could copy and email if you are interested.
That would be great, cheers. [Email address removed]
TP, have forwarded my email via this site as the system removes emails from posts to prevent spam. Frank

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by tpain
On 22 November 2011
Replies 5
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown