Dr. Martens (leather boots) for tramping?

Hi, I'm planning to do quite a lot tramping around the South Island early next year sometime. Not sure exactly what tracks at the moment, but probably a good 6 weeks of tramping in total. I am currently in the process of buying/replacing gear, and it is now time to look at boots... Currently I have a pair of Dr. Martens (standard issue, somewhat like these, except not nearly as shiny http://www.freshlysocial.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Dr-Martens-black1.jpg). After my old synthetic boots fell apart, I got a pair of these, just as a temporary solution. I've had them for about a year now, and have done quite a lot of day walks with these boots and a couple of over night tramps, and have found them to perform very well. I'm not sure how well they would do on longer tramps however, so I came up with a few pros/cons. Pros: Very VERY comfortable (and some say comfort comes before anything else in a tramping boot). Nicely broken in, and moulded to they shape of my feet and walking style by now too. The Air-Walk soles are great, and literally bounce you up after each step. Simple design... I'm thinking, and have experienced, that less stitching/unnecessary parts = less that can break. Pros AND Cons: Relatively heavy... Although personally I prefer a heavier boot, and have never liked ultra-light boots. Made from leather and not completely water tight (but what is?). Probably not ideal for river crossings or deep mud, but I usually like to carry a light pair of sandals or trainers for river crossings anyway. Cons: Not specifically designed for tramping or hiking. Not very much padding, although even in long uphill day hikes, over rough terrain, I haven't found this to be a problem. The soles aren't super grippy. Like I said, I've been very impressed with their durability/comfort/support/etc for short tramps, but I wonder how they would perform for longer outings (ie, 5 or 6 days at a time). I'd love to hear your opinions, cheers!
I've worn docs my entire life ... 10 ups. (I've only owned 2 pairs :) and I'm nearly 40 ) I started tramping in 2011. There is no way I would wear my docs into some of the bush/tracks I've been in I tramp with my 17 daughter mostly, and we have developed a few "sayings" while were out. "engage four wheel drive" means one of us slipped, but didn't arse over "Nice trip? send me a post card next time" .. one of us arsed over "bridge!" dry feet experience ahead .. yay! The docs would not cope. My docs are goods for 1. casual motorcycle riding (not speeding through the country) 2. attracting negative attention when I wear to a bar/pub in town 3. feeling like I'm some sorta commando expert straight from battlefield or call of duty Still .. if I lost them I'd buy another pair in a heart beat. Bought my last pair from http://www.sparqys.co.nz/ because finding a shop in Hamilton that sold 10ups was impossible !!
I can't imagine a commando expert doing his job in a pair of Doc Martins.
Just to be clear, I don't mind buying new boots at all (I was planning on it anyway)... I just had the thought of "Hey, I've got these lying around, I wonder if they would work?" Aardvark - Hahaha, I've often thought the same... Anyway, thanks guys! Guess I'll be looking at some new boots now...
I'm beyond trying to suggest a boot to anyone else anymore. There is always someone who will tell you they've done wild in the most innappropriate footwear. There is no doubt you could tramp in anything but its a question of minimising risk of injury and perhaps not dramatically reducing the benefits of the footwear.
I did say "feeling" like :) Kinda like feeling like I'm a race driver in my starlet :)
Now you're scaring me... a Starlet????
Dont mock the Starlet Many years ago I hired one to go from Picton to a wedding in Dunedin. Didnt lift the foot off the floor for the entire Canterbury Plains (except towns) it was the rwd 1000cc model There are small hills on the plains It would slow to 125 on the ups then hit 140 before settling back to 135kph. Did that for 2 hours straight each way Who cares that by the time you have 2 passengers there is no room for luggage.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by pressure chief
On 17 November 2011
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown