Doing both Routeburn and Kepler tracks

Hi folks, great site - very happy to have found it. We are looking at doing the Routeburn track followed by the Kepler track in late Feb, and had a few questions. Has anyone else done both tracks one after the other? If so, what would be the best way to get from the southern end of the Routeburn (The Divide) to the start of the Kepler track? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much. Cheers,
Check out Tracknet (http://www.tracknet.co.nz). They have a couple of buses running each day between Milford Sound and Te Anau which stop at the Divide along the way. You wouldnt really be able to start doing the Kepler on the same day you finish the Routeburn (unless you like walking at night) for I doubt you would be back in Te Anau before 4pm. Best bet would be to stay the night in Te Anau and head out the next day (or in a couple of days if you want a break... Te Anau is a lovely little town).
i use buckleys instead, tracknet run a bit or a rort with local shops, they stop for half an hour for no reason at all other than to get people to spend at the shop at glenorchy at inflated prices, buckleys take you to and from queenstown without unecessary stopovers. vehicles arent as rough as some of tracknets buses either. buckleys will also pick you up and drop you off from anywhere in queenstown I tried tracket several times but got sick of the way they operate
While I agree with the sentiment regarding the stop in Glenorchy, the OP asked about transport from the Divide. I dont believe Buckleys run from Queenstown to Te Anau ;-)
In 2002 I did Milford, Routeburn and Kepler (in that order) one after the other. I used Tracknet, and always have, I've found them pretty convenient and reliable. (Would have been better to do Kepler first ofcourse to save back tracking, but I'd initially planned to do Milford/Routeburn/Rees Dart. I think that was when they were building the new Dart Hut and Cascade Saddle was all iced in (it was real early in the season) so I changed plans and did Kepler instead. I did the Milford first and stayed one night in Milford Sound, then used Tracknet to get up to the Divide the next day for the Routeburn. I'd even arranged with Tracknet to do a food drop for me at Milford Sound so I wouldn't have to carry my Routeburn food while I was on the Milford, worked out well.
Tracknet or Kiwi Discovery for buses from the Divide to Te Anau. 'You wouldnt really be able to start doing the Kepler on the same day . . .' I agree with the this . . unless you were going to camp on the Kepler. Brod Bay campsite is only 1.5-2 hours into the track, depending where you start to walk from. You would have to pick up your hut/camping tickets for the track from the DOC Visitor Centre before you started the track though.
Hi there, With my wife just did Rees-Dart and Kepler Track right after. Not a problem at all. Our logistics were the following: 1/1/12: Out of Rees-Dart to Queenstown by infotrack.co.nz (they also provide for Routeburn) 2/1/12: From Queenstown to Kepler start (Control Gates) by tracknet. Transport leaves Queenstown at 7:00am and you're walking the track by 10:00am. We spent the first night at Brod Bay campsite, an easy walk of an hour an a half just to have some resting. Cheers.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Geoffro
On 17 November 2011
Replies 6
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown