Greenstone Caples Routeburn- How many do the loop?

Hi all, Great forum - some very knowledgable and helpful posts ( posters )on here. Good to see. I've recently moved south from the west coast, and due to having small children now - haven't got out much to explore the county down here yet. With the exception of a trip up the Glaisnock after winning a ballot. However - I'm doing some research on track use. I've found some information on how many people walk the Routeburn, Caples, Milford and Greenstone tracks, but I'm aware that some choose to do two in a row - or 2 tracks to make a loop, but how many people do this compared to walking just one way ? Anyone have any info, an educated guess ?, or your own experience ? All input would be very much appreciated.
Ive walked the Milford once, done the Caples and Greenstone once (as a loop), and done the Routeburn fully twice. Ive also done the stretch from the Divide to Lake Mackenzie a further 2 times. I would hazard a guess to say the Milford would be the most popular track in NZ if all the hoards of foreign visitors were anything to go by. It certainly is if travle forums such as Lonely Planet are anything to go by, its certainly the most famous. The Routeburn is almost as famous and popular. The Caples and Greenstone would be a distant 3rd.
Cheers Yarmoss, may I ask hoe you travelled to the start / finish points. I'm assuming you started and finished the Greenstone/Caples loop from the Wakatipu side. How did you get to/from the Routeburn?
1 deleted post from Yarmoss
Yeah, I did the Caples/Greenstone from the Wakatipu side. I used a transport company out of Queenstown to get to the Greenstone carpark but I cant for the life of me remember their name and a quick Google search didnt bring up anything that sounded familiar so maybe they've changed names or shut down. I hitched a ride with a fellow tramper for the trip back to Queenstown. For all my other trips Ive used Tracknet. They run out of Queenstown and Te Anaua and their service is impecable.
Hey thanks heaps. Anyone else ? .........
I have tramped both greenstone and caples numerous times. I see multitudes of people in these valleys, all year round too, they are the only official great walks in the area that can be done in winter. Most people I meet are doing the circuit, they are usually not kiwis and they go up caples and back down greenstone from wakatipu end. Anyone looking to do this circuit anytime from oct-may I would recommend take a tent.
Wow - MOST do the loop. OK Thanks for that. It surprises me that so many do it in the winter, and that its so crowded people need a tent - most huts are 12 bunk right ?

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Duck2water
On 2 November 2011
Replies 6
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown