Rees-Dart early November

1–10 of 13

I am heading to queenstown early november for a week or so tramp, keen to do rees dart I am an experienced tramper and mountaineer, have done it before, and have all the necessary gear. Looking for a partner (S) to accompany me, flexible with date as have not booked flight yet but it will be around the 7th November. Cheers Stephen
Hi Stephen79 I've just arrived in Queenstown and I'm looking for people to go Tramping/mountaineering with over the next month or so. I'm keen on doing the Rees-Dart track/s. I'm from the UK but have done a lot of stuff in the French Alps, so have experiance. Cheers Colin.
Hi Stephen and Colin, I am setting off from the UK tomorrow for NZ. I am really keen to do some tramping / mountaineering. I had really set my heart on doing the cascade saddle route (or Rees-Dart) but not recommended by DOC at present. I have winter mountaineering experience in the UK and a little bit in the Swiss Alps. However, I wasn't quite sure about undertaking such a trip in another country and I am travelling alone. I am going to be based in Wellington with friends but was thinking of heading down to this area for 5 or so days between 15th to the 24th November. Stephen you say you have done the route before - how demanding do you expect it to be at the present time? I was also wondering about getting to the French Ridge Hut. I am not sure my dates fit with you Stephen but they may do with Colin. I would be pleased to hear from either of you but probably won't be able to respond until Sunday because of my journey. Cheers Gaye
1 deleted post from gsenior
Hi Stephen, Colin and Gaye, I'm living in Queenstown for the next 6 months. Been doing a lot of rock climbing around town but I'm keen to head up to the mountains and do some tramping or mountaineering soon. I've been interested in doing the Rees-Dart for a while now but would not be apposed to any other tracks/routes you all might be interested in doing. Thanks, Ryan Mobile: 022-315-2959
Hi Gaye, Ryan & Stephen, I've just come back from a weekends hiking in Mount Aspiring NP, My plan was to go up to Cascade Saddle via Aspiring hut, but when I arrived at the hut the warden informed me the track is still covered in drift snow and there has been a few slips taking out part of the track, they are sending some people up via helicopter to work on the mast at the saddle on the 7/11 and will be checking the track from the air. So I changed my plans and headed up to Liverpool Hut and it was fantastic, the conditions where OK up till 700m then the last 300m was in deep snow and the track had a lot of trees across it which have come down due to the heavy snow falls, I returned via the same route and checked out the start of the route up to French Ridge which is just across the river, then returned to Aspiring hut and the car park, it was a long day (12h) but a great walk. My plans going forward are to return and climb up to French Ridge hut and then make a rece of the route up to the Bonar Glacier via the Quarterdeck and then return to Aspiring hut, where I’ll camp and then try the Cascade Saddle. The only other thing I have planned at present is to climb Mt. Earnslaw at the start of December with a guy from Australia; I will then carry on and walk the Rees-Dart Track and a side walk up to Cascade Saddle. All plans can be altered to fit in with other people’s schedules Please feel free to contact me via this website or my mobile 0210762703 Colin.
Hi Colin I have just got this message and am rushing to catch a ferry. I am going over to Abel Tasman for a few days with a friend. Your plans sound good and I may be interested depending on dates and getting there etc. I will definitely phone you in the next few days (my mobile is 02108266344). As I said previously I am free between the 15th and 24th of November. I am based in Wellington but would need to fly to Queenstown. Bye for now Gaye
I'm back in Wanaka for a few days so will be contactable on my mobile, Gaye I got your message and left you a reply. If you can call me when you can so we can have a chat, have a great time on the Abel it's a great walk.
looking on the DOC website and speaking to the people in the DOC centre in Wanaka the track is still unsuitable to walk on, so I'm going up to the French Ridge hut for a few days and check again when I come back.
Hi Colin, I'm very interested in doing the Rees-Dart in December. When in December are you thinking you'll do the track?
If any of you guys end up doing the Rees-Dart please post conditions on this forum. My husband & I have been waiting to get up there, but DOC are pretty cautious about the conditions and have particular concern around the river crossings and of course there was a new snow dump last night on the saddle.
1–10 of 13

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by stephen79
On 26 October 2011
Replies 12
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown