Three Passes in November?

I saw some awesome photos from a guy who did the "Three Passes" tramp. I was wondering if it is doable in November? My difficulty limit would be moderate. Also, The "Three Passes" route does not seem to be clearly defined in Lonely Planet "Tramping in New Zealand guide", or on the DOC website. I think the Three Passes is a combination of tracks. Any advice would be appreciated.
Here is some info from the book Classic Tramping In New Zealand: Length 53 Km's, 4-5 Days, Nearest towns Hokitika, Authurs Pass, Best time October - May, Good Fitness Required. MAPS NZMS 260 - J33, K33, K34, TOPO 50: BV19, BV20. Kainere Road End to Grassy Flat Hut 4-5 hours, Harman Hut to Browning pass (1410m) 3 hours, Browning Pass to Park Morpeth Hut 2 hours, Park Morpeth Hut to Whitehorn Pass (1753m) 4-5 hours, Whitehorn Pass to Harman Pass (1321m) 2 hours, Harman Pass to Carrington Hut 3 hours, Carrington Hut to Kondyke Corner (SH73) 5 hours. Dept of Conservation Hokitika of Authurs Pass for more info.
Too early in the year. too much snow and ice already tunneled by melting water. I tried it beginning of last november. Pretty lucky i got out without injuries. Had to turn around after climbing the riverbed. scarry and difficult. In Summer it s fine. did it again a few months later. Really liked it.
Thank you both for the informative responses! I am a novice tramper, and have decided to try something easier for my 2nd trip to NZ. Maybe the St. James Walkway. It sounds like the Three Passes can be treacherous in the Spring. I did find good information on the Three Passes tramp on the DOC website, and it says do not attempt this tramp alone! I think Clint Eastwood once said, "A man must know his limitations."
DoC always says that, but theres nothing wrong with going solo if you take precautions. Thats how I started and the trueth of the matter is you'll almost always meet up with others you can tag along with who are doing the same thing. Going into the Southern Alps in November however is definetly a bad idea. Guess you wont have the time to wait until Jan/Feb but somewhere of lower altitude would be a good place to start in the meantime.
Usually an ice axe and crampons are required as well for Whitehorn Pass. I recall climbing up to the Pass from the Ariel Tarn side and there were moulins which lay in wait for someone to slip and slide into. A bit unnerving.
Thank you for the responses Yarmoss and Honora. Anything requiring crampons scares the crap out of me at this point, being the novice tramper that I am. It sounds like the DOC Rangers would probably find my lifeless carcass at the bottom of Whitehorn pass if I attempted it. You two may have saved my life with this advice. After more consideration, I think I have decided to do 2/3 days on Queen Charlotte, maybe a couple of days on Abel Tasman, then 3 to 4 days on 1000 Acres Plateau. I may also try 2 to 3 days on the Wangapeka Track. I would like to spend more time down there but I only have two weeks.
Huge difference in scope between the 3 Passes and what you've decided to go for! Glad the advice helped. Also the Wilberforce side of Browning Pass is very steep. Have a great time on those far more mellow options.
We a group of four spent 14 hours from Carrington Hut to Park Mopeth Hut via Harman Pass and Whitehorn Pass some years ago in Xmas time. Started 8.30am arrived at 10.30pm exhausted. Don't ever to attempt it in early November without snow gear. Your other choice is better. Come back next time in later summer. Enjoy your tramps in NZ!
2 deleted posts from Honora
I see the guide book allows about 11 hours. I think it would have taken us quite a bit lessfor that section, going in the reverse direction which is quicker. Certainly we did from Park Morpeth to the road end in a day after taking the previous day to walk from the Styx Rd end to Park Morpeth. I do recall one of the lads being a bit tired on the last leg but I see from the trip report below he was having virus troubles. The trip was called "3 Passes, 2 ways, 1 weekend, no problem" http://www.ctc.org...port&task=view&id=9

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Flossie
On 18 September 2011
Replies 9
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown