What is your experience with ponchos?

Hi all, just curious: Are you using a poncho, and if so, how? Is it your main or only way of rain and wind protection? Do you use it as shelter as well? As a ground sheet? A wind break? A hammock? A hang glider or parachute? I am extremely impressed by my experiences with the performance of ponchos to keep me drier and thus warmer than any other even very expensive rain gear has done before under similar conditions, down to relatively chilly temperatures and quite strong winds as well. In addition, I love the fact that they can double as a backup shelter in case my primary tarp should ever go to shreds in one of those storm nights - so far I could prevent that successfully. My only two concerns to actually switch to a poncho, leave the rain jacket at home, and possibly even just take long gaiters instead of rain pants, are the following: - not ideal for bush bashing - limited ability to retain warmth when not walking - limited safety margin in for very cold weather surprises None of the above points are unmanageable in my opinion. I dislike taking both poncho and rain jacket plus rain pants, and I know that in 90% of all cases that I have ever encountered, I would have been much better off with a poncho. I'm torn. What do you all think? Cheers, Matt
I've used them a lot & they have their place. I still own two & have worn out a couple. I'm talking about butterfly capes which I guess are ponchos. They mainly get used when using hand tools because they don't restrict arm and body movement as much as rain coats & you don't sweat as much in them. For example they are good when track cutting on drizzly days or when the trees are wet. In summer I used to use them when tramping/fly camping in bush country. They can double as a ground sheet then. They are not as good as coats in very cold or very windy conditions such as bad weather on the tops. I have had to resort to wearing them back the front when walking straight into cold driving rain in open country.
I have a mate Pete who uses nothing but ponchos. Hunts the Ruahines summer winter rain snow and shine with them. Gets the 'big black sack' brand he I remember right. Available from your local supermarket at $5 for 5. i've tried them myself on occasion in the Ruahines and Tararuas as well as possuming all seasons in otago and found their waterproofness and ventilation superior to any gortex i've owned in both regards. Down side that they get ripped bushbashing overcome by having cheap light spares available. Hard to put on in windy conditions and would need a belt in the wind, but not a problem when carrying a pack or bumbag as this suffices. Real problem is the scorn and accusations of irresponsability you get from more fashionably attired 'trampers' who get quite angry and upset on occasion. I can only put this down to their need to justify to themselves the $700 they just spent on their new goretex.
I reckon Ive met this bloke on a couple of occaisions he always looked pretty relaxed to me!
I had never really used a poncho until last year. I bought 3 cheap lightweight "breatheable" hooded ponchos on Trade Moi (Tech-Trex I think they were called) They packed down incredibly small and weighed next to nothing. Me and my two sons(8&12) did a short tramp into Cass Saddle hut and the weather was hit and miss, so being able to wear a poncho and remove it easily when the weather cleared was a real advantage. It was too warm for jackets and the ventilation they gave was great. Another bonus for the boys was that the ponchos covered them and their packs. I would never take just a poncho, but in this instance they were great.
"madpom' I wasn't referring to big black plastic rubbish bags but yes they can be useful. I carry a couple in my pack and have used them as vests, pack covers etc. One of my cousins in the NI wears them a lot even in town. The butterfly capes (ponchos) I use are made of japara or PVC & come without hoods. I use them in conjunction with a brimmed & lined japara hat or hard hat with a plastic rain flap at the back. These capes are cheap & durable. Back in the hunting days they were good when carrying carcasses to stop blood, pig tics etc getting through your clothing to your skin.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Mariku
On 31 July 2011
Replies 5
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown