Fastest south Island coast to coast on foot?

So what is the fastest you can do a coast to coast of the South Island: on foot, without resorting to roads: KatieP's related question has got me thinking. There are some easy alpine crossings in the Otago / Southland region: I've walked out the Hollyford in a day - could probably run/walk Hollyford mouth to Glenorchy via the Routheburn in a day if you really wanted to - but once over the Alps, the country is almost twice as wide at that point ... So do you go for the narrow bit ... aim to exit somewhere near Ashburton where the distance is halved. But then you have the challenge of some real tough Alpine passes to cross - certainly not the sort of thing you could run or dash over with a day pack. Further north maybe ... where the passes get easy again: Harper for example. But you run into the seaward Kaikouras if you go too far north, another slow crossing. So what do you reckon - where would you cross and how long do you reckon it would take as a walk or a run? Only ground rule would be to minimise highway travel: say give you 20km on asphalt all up maximum...
Years ago hunter Bert Cropp walked from SH73 at Klondyke Corner near Arthurs Pass to the Lake Kaniere - Kokatahi roadend behind Hokitika in one day. This was done via the well known Three Pass route of Harman, Whitehorn & Browning Passes and over Styx Saddle. Back in 1977 four of us decided to try & emulate Bert's feat. We did it in 11 hours 50 minutes which was at that stage considered the fastest crossing to date. We carried day packs and signed the book in each hut we passed. Two of us wore boots, myself included, and the other two wore running shoes and had their ankles strapped. This time has since been lowered but I'm not sure that the terms of the faster crossing were quite the same? For the record those involved back in 1977 were David Merrick (a top young mountaineer), Dan O'Connor (a NZ harrier rep), Duncan Hamilton (later a top NZ Adventure Racer) and glennj. Alastair Prangnell was crew and official timekeeper. He dropped us off & met us at the other end. These days the Goat Pass Coast to Coast route seems to attract more attention than the Three Passes. I'm not sure who currently holds the record for that crossing but it could be easily checked. I think the Duncan above and his younger brother Hamish may have had the fastest times at one stage some years back?

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by madpom
On 23 July 2011
Replies 1
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown