sleeping bag liners

Up until recently I used a hollowfill bag for winter and a lighter similar one for summer.Still use the summer bag but have upgraded to down for winter. The hollowfill bags were so easy to clean that I never bothered with liners as when they get too dirty you just through them in the bath with some washing powder swirl them round a bit drain then rinse a couple of times then after they drain so the dont pour water all over the floor just hang them on the washing line. That isnt going to work with down quite as well so Iinvested in a liner on trademe. Put it in the bag Jumped in and 30 seconds later I was so tangled I needed help to escape. What am I doing wrong or would I be better off investing in Pyjamas instead.
Ha ! we share a problem (attribute?) - year's ago I concluded that, for me, liners did not work. Cotton or silk, they insist on contorting like some manic whirling dervish - if left to it's own devising, I'm sure the liner would strangle me before the end of a winter's night. Down bags are washable but I don't do it very often - in Victoria AUS, there is a commercial mob who do a pretty good job ( http://www.remoterepairs.com.au/repDown.htm ). Otherwise, you'll find lots of advice on-line.
Funny this:) I was just thinking the same thing yesterday. I have a light summer bag and a down bag and have tried a silk liner with them with claustrophobic results. I am glad I am not the only one. As for cleaning down bags I have had Macpac Sapphire down bag for 18 years and never had the courage to wash it myself. When I asked Macpac about it they recommended Maxwells Drycleaners in Chch who can gentle wash and slow dry down bags in their galactic size machines. They also take the bag out periodically and massage the down to prevent clumping. It takes about 4 days but the results were excellent and if memory serves cost about $30-$40.
so what about the lightweight pyjamas thought
My bag is a One Planet Cocoon 500 (800 loft down, 850g, -6deg comfort limit as measured by EN13537 standard) so I don't often need additional warmth. However, I usually carry spare clothing that I use around camp - and in the bag if necessary - a pair of (homemade) bike-longs (cotton/lycra) and a base layer wool long-sleeve top (eg Kathmandu or IceBreaker-type). Both can be used during the day as base layer if the weather blows up cold and dirty so I don't feel I'm carrying extra stuff for no purpose. I guess I prefer to sleep at a moderate temperature - not hot - so in average conditions I'd have the zip open and the hood off - and I don't tend to perspire in the bag all that much (I make up for it when I'm vertical :) This bag has been on 50 trips (160+ nights) and doesn't look like needing a wash yet :) I sent my previous (down) bag off for one wash in it's 30 year history - it's still in reasonable condition but weighs 2.2kg
I wasnt looking for extra warmth. The bag has an extreme rating of -14 but comfort of 0 Last weekend the zip was undone and the top folded down Still too warm. If the consensus is dont use a liner then the liner will be kept as a super summer bag when only a sheet is needed but otherwise I will use the bag as is
Have to say, I can't relate to this tangled liner experience. I always use a silk liner. It keeps the bag clean as evidenced by how dirty the liner gets. I wash it in the shower while I'm washing my hair after the tramp. It gets washed with the run-off from shampooing and dried out of the sun after a rinse and spin in the machine. I'm a cold sleeper and the liner gathered around my neck makes a noticeable difference in keeping heat locked in. On hot nights, sleeping in the nick in a silken liner is very pleasant. I've even used it as a sarong in hot huts, it serves this way as my dressing gown if I get up for a pee when I'm sleeping nude and one time, I wrapped it round my torso as my base layer when I realized I'd forgotten a change of top for the hut. It also gets used as a scarf before I go to bed on chilly evenings and this way gets prewarmed.
I agree with Honora a silk liner is great value.Mine cost around $30 and is very comfortable and keeps my sleeping bag clean,would'nt do with out it now.
i agree with the above 2 comments, i love having a silk liner. in winter when you have the wood stove cranking, the last think you want is to snuggle up in your down sleeping bag! So i use mine to sleep in, and then when it gets cold in the morning pull the sleeping bag over..just gives you that little bit extra warmth.
To think I thought I was the only person to find using a liner didn't make for a good sleep! I wake up kicking and fighting! Most times these days I use it to wrap around my jacket for a snug pillow though on hot nights I will also sleep in it if the temperature in just too high.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by geeves
On 12 July 2011
Replies 9
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown