Routeburn - caples - greenstone in 6-7 days

Hi Is this possible to do Routeburn - caples and greenstone in 6-7 days? Starting from Routeburn Shelter and ending at the Divine to take bus to Te Anau. Do you have a recommend itinerary? I'm planning to go in January, planning to stay in huts on caples and greenstone track. Will there a lot people around on these huts in Jan and do i need to bring tent just in case? I really don't want to carry tent , as the pack is going to be heavy for 6-7 days tramp. Many thanks mieng
Hi Mieng, Yes, quite do-able in 6-7 days. What follows are just a few ideas – you still need to do your own planning – lots of info on this website and on the DOC website (suggested times etc). The appropriate topo maps (CB09 and CB10) can give you a good idea of terrain and gradients, river crossings etc. The first two nights need to be booked as they are on the Routeburn Great Walk. The remaining huts don’t require booking (just the appropriate hut tickets/pass) and a tent is not required but if huts are crowded you could find yourself on the floor so a sleeping mat would be good security. Option 1 With a food drop at the Greenstone Station end of the Greenstone track, you only need carry 4 days food (2 days food in the drop). Alternatively, leave out the food drop and reduce day 5 by 3km (but carry all the food). The last day is short so getting to the Divide to pick up a bus is easily achieved. Day 1 : to Routeburn Falls Hut : 9km Day 2 : to Lake Mackenzie Hut : 10km Day 3 : to McKellar Hut : 13km Day 4 : to Greenstone Hut : 18km Day 5 : to fooddrop : 10km, to mid Caples Hut : 8km Day 6 : to McKellar Hut : 19km Day 7 : to The Divide : 9km or Option 2 cuts out a day but you’ll need an early start for Day 5 Day 5 : to upper Caples Hut : 22km Day 6 : to the Divide : 15km Hope this gives you a few ideas.
Bernieq, any ideas of a company that would do a food drop?
The Routeburn is quite achievable in one (12/14 hr) day by walking only at a steady clip and taking in Conical hill. Lunch 15min at MacKenzie, smoko at Howden hut and McKellar at 6pm. I did it a couple of years ago (2009) Two days easy going will get you to Greenstone car park. Head for Upper caples hut to make the final leg to the Divde more manageable. By the way there aren't any river crossings and you will hardly need topo maps. You'll pass heaps of people. Plan with the right kinds of foods (energy) and you can forget food drops !!!! Need more info - just ask.
Hi Hazel, No commercial options for food drops as far as I’m aware – you would need to do the drop yourself prior to starting the tramp (requires you to have your own transport). Really, the better option is to do Routeburn – Caples or Routeburn – Greenstone. You finish on the same side of the range as you start and, for a 5 day tramp, you won’t need a food drop. Mind you, even the original suggestion doesn’t really need a drop – for me, 7 days = 5.6kg dehy food (and I eat a lot) so a starting pack weight of less than 20kg
Thanks Bernie. I think we'll just suck it up and take six days' worth of food with us!
you could stash some food down at the road end whre the greeenstone meets wakatipu, or se if tracknet will being some food in and meet them there. cascade track has been upgraded on hte greenstone side of the saddle, making it eaiser and they are updrading over summer along part of the caples side
1 deleted post from DrydayDooro

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by mieng
On 11 July 2011
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown