South Island tramps

Hi i am looking for a 2 day tramp between Dunedin and Queenstown in late September, possibly a circular route or at least with transport at one end. i and a friend are leaving Dunedin on Sunday 25th and fly out from Queenstown on Wednesday 28th so wanted to fit in a tramp. I have previously done the Milford, Routeburn and Kepler tracks so anything of that grade would be fine. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
Having some problems with your combination of criteria: circular (or through), 2 day, vehicle accessible. Can think of dozens of great tramps in the area, but ... - Big country in this area means that 2-day walk generally are there-and-back as the distances to get from one roadend to another (or out of one catchment into an adjacent one) tend to need more time - Accessible by public transport cuts the options by about 95% So, I'm left with: Makarora options: ================= - Makarora Hut (3-6hrs each way) - Cameron's Hut (2.5-5 hrs each way) - Wills Hut (2.5-5 hrs each way) All 'there-and-back' walks up great alpine valleys, past gorges and waterfalls into the broad tussock basins at their heads. Great views of the main divide and glaciers above from Makarora and Wills - but more distant from Camerons but still a good walk. Cameron's and Wills require river crossings which may be impassible after heavy rain. Makarora has a couple of side creeks to cross, but even after most downpours these are generally crossable with care. Well marked tracks to each with a few scrambles but nothing technical. - Brewster Hut A climb to an alpine hut above the Haast Pass. Makarora is not exactly between Dunedin and Q'town, but there are busses from Dunedin to Wanaka, and from Wanaka to the start of all these walks. And Also from Wanaka to Q'town. Other options ============= If you can get track transport from Glenorchy to the trackends you could walk into the beginning of the Caples or Greenstone to the 1st huts and back. Easy valley walks and quite busy but probably not too bad at that time of year. Not as exciting as the above Makarora options, but possible options and great scenery above you. Eyre Mountains / Takitimus - Some great 2-dayers down here, including lots of circuits up one catchment, over the pass, and back downt he adjacent one. But own transport definitely required. Huxley / Dobson / Maitland / South Temple. Many great 2-day tramps and options for circuits (e.g. Sth Temple to Maitland) or climbs to high bivvies above the bush (e.g. Dazzler Biv) but own transport a must. Access from Lake Ohau near Twizel. Maybe others have more ideas ...

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by kiki91
On 10 July 2011
Replies 1
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown