Tramping the Milford and or Routeburn Track

Hi All Am keen to come over to NZ in Oct / Nov 2011 and tramp along some of the magnificent great walks in the South Island. I'm a fairly fit 30 yr who has been involved in bushwalking the last few years. I'm a beginner bushwalker but super keen & have alot of the lightweight gear required but lack the knowledge and experience of thru walking / tramping in NZ. I'm not set on a particular track but have been reading up on Milford and Routeburn Tracks - they look amazing! I've two main questions, 1/ would there be perhaps be some like minded locals who are keen to join and perhaps show me the ropes? 2/ Was wondering if perhaps there are guides out there who for a fee would take you along the track, but instead of the luxurious huts and huge $ tag to go with it, allow you to use your own camping gear and in fact "rough" it in the std track huts. Local advice would be greatly appreciated, & advice from those who have done it before. Cheers!
If you chose the Milford then that's a pretty well regimented tramp and you're locked into arriving and departing huts on set days, so whilst there's fantastic scenary, there's also limited freedom. The Routeburn on the other hand is another stunning tramp, magic scenary and you don't have to use the huts if you don't want to. If you got a hut pass then the choice is always there if you need to use them, weather being the obvious reason, though they do get crowded all year round. As for guides, you certainly wouldn't need one for the Routeburn or any of the other great tramps in that area, like the Greenstone/Caples or the magnificent Rees/Dart tramps. Just make sure you're prepared and have a map and read the track notes. Enjoy.......just enjoy.
Hello, my partner and I are going to be in the South Island in early November. We are not sure which tramp we will do, we are thinking about doing the Three Passes again, but the Routeburn could be an option since my partner hasn't done it yet and I done it in winter 20years ago. Rune
Note also the Routeburn in the season from october you will have to book a space in the huts..and it isnt that cheap.AND you must camp a certain distance away from the track...grat trip but theer are plenty of other great tramps in NZ that dont cost so much in the huts or arnt so 'regimented' like the Milford or Routeburn.
Thanks RuneCKJ for your reply - somehow I missed this coming up on the forum - the auto email didn't come through my email. I've locked in dates for my trip now, finishing up in queenstown 13th Oct. I'm checking out the viability of doing from the 14th onwards, something like the routeburn - does this fit in with you guys at all?
Hi, It looks as if we will be flying over on the 5th November. Rune and Elana

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by keentoexplore
On 4 July 2011
Replies 5
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown