Altimeter watches

Hey, I need to get a new watch and thought I an altimeter one might be a handy bit of kit . . any recommendations?
12 comments
11–12 of 12

One small note about GPS's (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong) is that a typical hand-held GPS altitude, including the high-sensitive-antenna models, is typically only accurate vertically to within 30 metres. ie. They're far more accurate horizontally than vertically. This is at least part of the reason why some of the higher spec hand-held GPS devices include barometric altimeters. It's still necessary to calibrate them, but a good barometric altimeter in consistent weather can easily be accurate to within a metre or so. Of course if you have a GPS giving you a precise horizontal point on a map anyway, knowing the precise elevation might be less useful. On occasion it can still be very handy, though, like if you're in a place with a few steep areas. Also in some environments, pulling out a GPS just makes you look less cool. I've been glared at on occasion and had to explain that I've honestly only pulled out my GPS because it has a good barometric altimeter, and I'm really not cheating more than anyone else. :)
Sounds likely. Recall a trapline down the catlins river averaging 40m below sea level despite having the high sensitivity gps and a pdop of 5m. Caught a few too...
11–12 of 12

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by CornishGirl
On 30 June 2011
Replies 11
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown